Logo

Help Joe or anyone I am desperate 92 150 Johnson

trooper

" Joe, I have posted several t

" Joe, I have posted several times regarding my idle problem. My VJ150ELANC has 110psi compression an all cylinders. I started out fine this year's season until I performed what I thought was preventive maintenance. I changed the plugs, replaced the 10 year old VRO and pulse limiter, and replaced the fuel line and bulb.

Here is my problem, Idled fine on flush device, but in the lake it sneeze-spits and dies. I took it to a marine shop where they pulled my chain about seal rings. I have come to learn that it was just their twisted sense of humor.

They started with the carburetors, all six were rebuilt and the float bowls replaced. The old black plastic bowls were warped. They also replaced the throttle body and manifold gaskets with the new brown material and inspected the reeds.

After that carb work, the boat runs 5600 rpm on top end but will not idle(same problem). The mechanic said that he noticed the manifolds had 2 of the 12 check valves with the little ears broken off and that maybe the cause. He found some manifolds from a junked motor and replaced those 2 valves in mine. He put the boat in the water and let it warm up in gear pushing against the trailer for 5-7 minutes. All seemed great! Tempature gun read 113 degrees. He took the boat out idled for 1/4 mile and every thing was fine, then he ran full throttle 5600rpm. On his return to the dock, it started spitting and would not idle. He check the temp again 143 degrees.

As of now, the mechnaic has had the boat 4 weeks and worked on it for 2 of the 4. He thinks it is still an air leak but can't figure it out by spraying around the gaskets. I just want my boat to idle. Joe, anything in your past experiences ever stumped you like this? Help any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Trooper "

"Trooper..... I do remember th

"Trooper..... I do remember that engine model number. However, it's a engine that I'm not totally familiar with as I believe that it's one of those 60° engines.

My book states that the engine has 9 check valves, not 12.... strange. If those valves operate the same as the "Fuel Recirulating Valves" that I'm familiar with, should any of them clog, the engine would run lean.

Should I be trouble shooting the engine, I would have the engine running with the condition existing, and one by one, stick two fingers into each carburetor throat. That would increase the fuel flow through the carb into the cylinder. When you're at the carb that supplies fuel to the cylinder(s) that are running lean, the rpms will increase and the problem will cease.

The above would narrow the problem down to that cylinders carburetor, carb gasket seal, check valve (whatever).

Joe
"

" I had the same problem with

" I had the same problem with one of my motors. After the third time of taking off the frontend of the motor, I found that 2 of the reed boxes had reeds that weren't shutting all the way, found this by holding boxes up to a bright light. Acouple of reeds I could see light through, so I replaced them. This fixed my problem, maybe this could help you. "

Back