Logo

Help with 1982 Mercury 70 hp outboard running problems

woody

" I have a Mercury 70 hp with

" I have a Mercury 70 hp with the elctronic ignition that recently gave us a new twist. The motor initially would not start, finding the problem was with the mercury switch, once unhooked the motor started right away. Next problem, motor would run at about 1/4 throttle if we held the choke in but would stall & or die without choke or at higher throttle. We operated the motor like this for 3 days then the worst happened. No restart after a 2 mile trip and 2 hours of unproductive fishing. With the boat back at home we checked the obvious. We are getting fire to the plugs and fuel to the carbs, in fact the fuel tends to flow out of the front of the carbs with the motor level. We pulled the plugs again and noticed that they were dry even after several attempts to start. There is not a problem with fuel delivery to the carbs but we cannot get the fuel to the cylinders. Could this be a problem with the reed valves. How can I check without a complete teardown of the motor. The motor has overheated in the past a few times (impeller problems). Could the valves being warped or cracked cause this problem. "

Back