Logo

Merc outboard with thunderbolt ignition

J

jay swisher

I have a 65hp merc with the t

I have a 65hp merc with the thunderbolt ignition that is not firing does any one have any idea about what could be wrong with it

I assume this is one with a d

I assume this is one with a distributor. I recently repaird one with similar problem. I had to replace the distributor (easier & cheaper from my junk) due to bad low & high speed coils. Then I had to replace the switch box. This was on a 1973 50 hp Merc. One other thing that will cause no fire is the coil being grounded as when the ignition switch is in the "off" position. I forget the color of the wire. But if you disconnect the kill wire from the coil (or your kill switch could be in kill position) this could eliminate that possibility. I'd recommend getting a good manual to touble shoot this thingy.

" I am considering using a 77

" I am considering using a 77 merc 150 outboard to power a 16ft speed boat (glastron)closed bow shallow hull.Were these motors good,ok,bad etc.It looks like it will need an engine wiring harness as the insulation fell apart and stator.compression is good.also are they known for high rpm?The prop is a 23 pitch,this motor was on a bass boat.Thanks for any info on this motor. "

Back