Logo

1966 261 Interceptor Runs great cold Pukes when warming

andyz

"My 1966 Correct Craft Mustang, 261 Interceptor started doing this last fall:

Cold, with the choke closed or partially closed, she runs great. Warming, it begins to miss and pop during acceleration. Warm, it will barely idle. Goose it, and it dies or belches and backfires.
I have: Replaced plugs, ignition module (mallory unilite upgrade) rebuilt carb.
Fuel starvation? Weak or failing fuel pump? (has the old style pump with settling bulb)
I'm tired of guessing, so here I am.
Any help at all will be appreciated!
[email protected]"

"You don't say what type o

"You don't say what type of carb, but I'm guessing a Holley 4 bbl. The engine is fuel starved, so check the usual things: fuel pressure between pump and carb, floats adjusted to spec, all circuits in the carb clean. Also check for vacuum leaks around the carb base and manifold, and that all unused vacuum ports are plugged.

"

"You don't say what type o

"You don't say what type of carb, but I'm guessing a Holley 4 bbl. The engine is fuel starved, so check the usual things: fuel pressure between pump and carb, floats adjusted to spec, all circuits in the carb clean, accelerator pump shooting fuel. Also check for vacuum leaks around the carb base and manifold, and that all unused vacuum ports are plugged.

"

" The carb is a Carter 2BBL. I

" The carb is a Carter 2BBL. I'll go hunting for vacuum leaks tonight. Just brought it back from the cottage and it's in the garage now and easier to work on. By the way, when I went to the cottage to get it, it ran very poorly COLD for the first time. It wouldn't even idle. Based on a suggestion from Bruce at Midwest Correct Craft, I bypassed the ballast resistor, and it ran somewhat better, enought to get across the lake.
Maybe the coil is going? (Bruce was stumped too. I think I need more, or better, diagnostic data)
I'll keep you posted, and THANK YOU for the reply!
-andy- "

" By the way, when I goose it,

" By the way, when I goose it, the accellerator pump is squirting plenty of fuel into the throat. I think that means the the float bowl is pretty close to full, as it should be?
I'm also gonna check the fuel pump this week and I'll let you know what I find.
-andy- "

" Well, after talking to a lot

" Well, after talking to a lot of people, and more testing, I decided the coil had to be the culprit. So, I purchased a new Accell HiPower coil, and went to install it, looking for someplace to mount it.
Anyway when I removed to old coil, I found the (hidden) broken ground wire connection for the unilite ignition module. (so simple. I'll be feeling like an idiot for the next few weeks)
Thanks for all the help!
(and by the way, this message board is GREAT!)
-andy- "

Re: 66 Interceptor Runs great cold Pukes when warming

My 260 intereceptor does the same thing, starts cold, idles no problem, runs fine, but when warmed up wants to die at idle. I already replaced the coil, could you explain the vacuum issue?

Back