Logo

1976 6hp Evinrude need some help please

matt77

" Hello,
I bought this engine

" Hello,
I bought this engine last summer. It is clean, runs great. Probably have put over 100 hours on the engine. Had it winterized properly, etc.
The rear left bolt underneath the block (opposite the spark plug side) seems to have oil running down out of the block onto the shaft. What could that be?
Also, is the water impeller hard to change? Where can I locate one? I think I need to do that do to it's age, and the fact that it sat for a while (still works, but you never know what could happen).
Thank You very much. "

"Matt.... The oil leak is prob

"Matt.... The oil leak is probably just the excess fuel/oil mixture oozing out of the gasket area where the powerhead attaches to the long exhaust housing (it happens). Most of the time, it's corrected by simply tightening the screws. Other times, the gasket must be replaced.

The water pump sits on top of the lower unit and is replaced by simply removing the bolts that you see holding the unit to the exhaust housing. When it drops down slightly, remove one of the 3/8" hex bolts from the brass shift connector that attaches the upper and lower shift rods and the lower unit will drop off.

The water pump originally had a aluminum housing and large diameter impeller but has been superceeded by the new type plastic housing, s/steel cup, smaller but taller impeller etc.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Back