Logo

Frozen and Broken Cable

• Thread starter Neil Cunningham
  • Start date
N

Neil Cunningham

" I have a 25 HP Johnson with

" I have a 25 HP Johnson with a steering system that is frozen.

I disconnected the nut at the extreme end of the cable that connects to the link arm, then unscrewed the large nuts on both sides of the tilt tube.

At this point, steering wheel moves freely. The piston on the helm side also moves freely in and out of the tilt tube.

However, the piston coming out of the tilt tube (side that connects to the link arm) is frozen tight.

I have not removed the entire cable from the tilt tube, but am assuming that it is broken inside.

When I push the helm to a fully extended position, I feel and hear a distinct click. When I reverse the helm, I feel and hear a similar click.

Any thoughts on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

Neil C. "

" Neil,

I'm confus

" Neil,

I'm confused about what you are describing -
this is what throws me off:

" At this point, steering wheel moves freely. The piston on the helm side also moves freely in and out of the tilt tube.

However, the piston coming out of the tilt tube (side that connects to the link arm) is frozen tight. "

There is only one piston as far as I know - I think it's called a "steering ram". Generally, there are three main areas where a steering system can seize.

1. the cable or helm is shot, one the other or bothe needs replacement

2. the cable is frozen into the tilt tube - spray/pump/squirt something slippery in there and break it free by inserting a screwdriver into the
hole on the "piston" and twist it back and forth about 1/2 turn.. if that will not work, heat can be used in combination with twisting - I don't recommend it, but I once got one free bashing it into the tube using a 5 lb hammer, and then twisting and pulling. Worse senario, the tube can be slid out of the assembly, cut off or the cable and tube can just be replaced.

3. I want to call it the steering arm assembly, but it's the arm, and tube which the outboard actually mounts to - what allows the engine to turn on it's mount. This can seize, and I don't think it's the case here - if you disconnect the steering arm and the outboard won't turn it's that and the only fix I know is heat, spray/squirt/pump and banging.

Hope this helps,

Jon "

"Neil.... The steering ram tha

"Neil.... The steering ram that connects to the arm that leads to the engine is frozen in the steering tube.

In addition to Jon's post, I'd suggest the following. While someone is applying pressure to the steering wheel one way or the other, grab that steering ram just inside the swivel portion of the ram.... don't grab the portion with the hole in it (so that you actually have a grip on the steering ram), then while pressure is being applied, try to move that ram up and down slightly. Usually that will break it free.

Joe
"

Back