Logo

Crusader Marine 478 CI V6 toroflow diesel

T

Tom Mundy

"I need parts for a 1973 low p

"I need parts for a 1973 low profile GM, FWC, Crusader Marine 478 CI, V-6
"toro-flow" diesel engine, and have many other parts myself.

Needed include;

1. Front timing chain housing;

2. Fresh water return housing;

3. Water pump.

I have injectors, injection pumps, exaust manifolds and heads.

Trades considered.

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]"

" To Tom Mundy on "Toro-Fl

" To Tom Mundy on "Toro-Flo" engines

The toro flo was used in medium duty trucks and was known os the DH478. Its' main drawback was that it would spin the con rod bearings if you took it over about 2300 rpm. The engine was goverened from the factory at 3400 rpm. They had almost 100% failure rate. The engines that survived were reset to a lower rpm, but alas, they now lacked power at the lower speed. Also the thermostat housing was on the INTAKE side of the water pump and would not work. The water entering the engine would shut the thermostats and the engine would boil over. I am amazed how they could have gone into production with such an obvious flaw. The surviving engines were usually run with the thermostats removed, and the engine never got to reach operating temperature unless under full load. They suffered thermal cycle shock and many died that way. A single thermostat could be sandwiched between the water outlet and the adapter, but I don't remember this a being a factory offered item. If you ever do get this engine running; please do not rev it up too high, (not even once), or you will be sorry! "

" Hi, I have two Crusader dies

" Hi, I have two Crusader diesels in a boat I recently bought at auction. Both are in the boat and one is partially apart. The other was supposedly working before the former owner decided to keep himself pickled. Does anyone have parts for these? "

"Steve,

You could check our

"Steve,

You could check our directory using the search term Crusader and you will get a list of sites. One of them,
CrusaderParts.com is not working at the moment, I emailed them to find out what is wrong, but have not heard back.

You could also post an ad in the classifieds describing what you need.

Good luck.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

Re: "I need parts for a 1973 low p

I have a comlete marine engine and gear with fresh starter, call me 910 7626571 george junior , asking 1500 for all
"i need parts for a 1973 low profile gm, fwc, crusader marine 478 ci, v-6
"toro-flow" diesel engine, and have many other parts myself.

Needed include;

1. Front timing chain housing;

2. Fresh water return housing;

3. Water pump.

I have injectors, injection pumps, exaust manifolds and heads.

Trades considered.

Thanks,
tom

[email protected]"

Back