Logo

JOE NEED HELP BAD 1993 99 EVINRUDE Trollingbob

" Joe; I started to install th

" Joe; I started to install the charge kit 174037 you said was needed for my motor and everything went fine until I came to the the rectifier, for some reason I can not find two holes that line up to install said rectifier much less the terminal block the OMC directions are good but the pictures are not, probably an older motor in there illastrations? At any rate this is a bad thing because I have someone comeing to fish this Friday any help you could provide will be much appriceated. "

"Trollingbob.... I didn't

"Trollingbob.... I didn't say your engine needed that charging kit. You asked if one was available for it, and I supplied the OMC part number for you. Just wanted to keep that clear.

The rectifier and terminal block has always been attached to the starboard side of the powerhead, just to the rear of the carburetor area. I had assumed from what you said previously that the engine was a electric start engine which I should think would have the terminal block and rectifier bracket already installed.

However, on the other hand, I would think that a charging kit such as the 174037 one would include those items anyway. It's not logical that they would exclude them.

Unfortunately I do not have the 1993 9.9/15hp parts book or manual available, otherwise I could look into that problem farther.

I think that the best thing to do would be to visit whatever dealership you purchased the kit from and look through their parts book for the missing item(s). Possibly there was an error and those parts were omitted?

Joe
"

" Joe; The parts are here ever

" Joe; The parts are here everything came with the kit its just that the directions say to remove filter cap with inlet hose from fule pump. Install rectifier. Tighten small screw securley. Leave 1/4 20 loose. Now on my motor the fuel pump is on the port side ,and after removing the filter cap I still don't find two holes that will line up the holes in the rectifer. "

"Bob.... I double checked the

"Bob.... I double checked the part number to be sure that it was correct.... it is.

If memory serves me right, that engine incorporates two different fuel pumps, one for the manual start model, and another (larger one) for the electric start model. The smaller fuel pump has always been located on the port side, just to the rear of the crankshaft area. The larger one (I believe) was relocated on the starboard side with an additional bracket.

The only reason to remove the fuel pump filter cap would be to get the fuel hose out of the way temporarily so that you'll have access to install the rectifier, etc.

Of all the engines I've worked on, pertaining to the 9.9 and 15hp models, the rectifier and the terminal board were always installed on the port side. Look on the port side carefully.

If a small fuel pump were installed there (this is just hypothetical, I know it's not there), just under where the large fuel line would be (extending from the rear of the pump), look a little lower. The two different size threaded screw holes should be there for the rectifier in a horizontal level.

The Terminal block would be installed in a 45° angle (approximate angle) just to the front area of the ignition coils. Bottom hole towards the coils, top hole towards the carb area.

Hopefully the confusion is due to the different fuel pump setup. Let me know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe; My motor is at my place

" Joe; My motor is at my place of work so I'm going in early to have another go at it, might go a little smoother in the am. I do appreciate all you'r help and will let you know tonight or tomorrow how it goes. Bob. "

"Bob.... A slight goof on my p

"Bob.... A slight goof on my part. I reversed the locations of the two fuel pumps. The small one was always on the starboard side, with the larger one being on the port side. Shouldn't type when I'm tired I guess. Memory plays tricks on me too, been that way ever since I married whatsername!(grin)

The corrected post is as follows. PLease disregard my previous post.
---------------------------
(Corrected Post)
Bob.... I double checked the part number to be sure that it was correct.... it is.

If memory serves me right, that engine incorporates two different fuel pumps, one for the manual start model, and another (larger one) for the electric start model. The smaller fuel pump has always been located on the "starboard" side, just to the rear of the crankshaft area. The larger one (I believe) was relocated on the "port" side with an additional bracket.

The only reason to remove the fuel pump filter cap would be to get the fuel hose out of the way temporarily so that you'll have access to install the rectifier, etc.

Of all the engines I've worked on, pertaining to the 9.9 and 15hp models, the rectifier and the terminal board were always installed on the "starboard" side. Look on the "starboard" side carefully.

If a small fuel pump were installed there (this is just hypothetical, I know it's not there), just under where the large fuel line would be (extending from the rear of the pump), look a little lower. The two different size threaded screw holes should be there for the rectifier in a horizontal level.

The Terminal block would be installed in a 45° angle (approximate angle) just to the front area of the ignition coils. Bottom hole towards the coils, top hole towards the carb area.

Hopefully the confusion is due to the different fuel pump setup. Let me know what you find.

Joe
"

" JOE ; Thanks for the reply,

" JOE ; Thanks for the reply, thats the good news the bad news is that the threaded holes you describe are not there the only threaded holes that are available for use are three on the port side, one right under the armature at the top another at the top aft and one at the bottom aft, all larger than 1/4 20, starbord side only one hole threaded smaller than 1/4 20 top center. I have talked to three driferent OMC dealers and they all said that I need to have OMC PN 176942 if I want to have charging capablaties. Bob "

"Bob,

This really has me pu

"Bob,

This really has me puzzled, and frankly I have never encountered a problem such as this. The number that the other three shops gave you (176942) has a price (in the 1999 price book) of $171.00. The 1999 price of the number I have (174037) has a price in the same book of $60.00. (Since retiring, I have not updated my price book).

I've double and triple checked, and have went back to the 1993 OMC accessory book to see if I might have transposed a number or something of that order. I keep coming up with the same number. Possibly the number was superceeded at some date beyond 1999, but in the 1999 price book, the number is locked in so to speak.

I'm attaching the page (via seperate e-mail) from the OMC 1993 accessory catalog for you to view. If I have caused you to purchase a wrong kit, it was certainly not my intentions, and I hope that you can exchange it if need be.

Joe
"

" Joe, I'm stumped as well

" Joe, I'm stumped as well, everythimg on this end points to 176942 new price $182.00. I do apperaciate your sending that copy of the page from the 1993 OMC accessories catalouge unfortunatly noboby around here has any of the old books. The only thing I can think of is if OMC made two differnt 9.9s in '93 ? Kind of like the car makers do, just a thought,or maby it was just a misprint in there book? I am able to return the one kit in exchange for the other one 20% restock fee but thats better than being stuck with a kit I cant use.I think this will just be one of lifes unsolved mysterys. Once again thanks. Bob. "

Back