65 johnson needs help

tim

I have a 65 johnson and when

I have a 65 johnson and when you turn on the key
the points stick. I have checked for cut or
damaged wires but can't find a problem.Can you
give me any advice.

"Tim.... You don't say wha

"Tim.... You don't say what year that engine is. However if what you're saying is that the points stick shut simply by turning the key on, I'm inclined to think that you are thowing 12 volts directly to those points, in effect, welding them shut. If this is not the case, you'll need to go into a more detailed explanation, so that we'll have a clear picture of the problem.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Joe I'm not sure of the y

Joe I'm not sure of the year of the 65 johnson
I think it's a 70's model engine. I am not getting fire to the plugs and I replaced the points and it seems like the plate that the points mount on is causeing the short.Is there
a bushing that goes between the plate and the
shaft and the flywheel? Someone told me that
there is a plastic bushing that goes around the
shaft to keep them apart. If so that may be the
problem because I have not found that bushing.
But your the expert so please give your opinion.

Thank's Tim

Post the model# of the motor.

Post the model# of the motor. The folks need that to give the best help.

"Tim.... Your last post has me

"Tim.... Your last post has me more than somewhat confused. You say:

"it seems like the plate that the points mount on is causeing the short.Is there a bushing that goes between the plate and the shaft and the flywheel? Someone told me that there is a plastic bushing that goes around the shaft to keep them apart."

I cannot visualize what this "shaft" might be, or the plastic bushing. I'll wait for you to come back with the "Model Number" of the engine before going any further.

Joe
"

Joe the 65 Johnson's mode

Joe the 65 Johnson's model #RDSL-26R and the serial #J2458497 . The shaft that I am talking
about is the crank shaft and the plate that the
points mount to slides down it and the flywheel
mounts over the points and the coils.I would
like to know the year and what to look for that
could be causeing the short and making the points stick.Any suggestion would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank's Tim

"Tim.... Model number RDSL-26R

"Tim.... Model number RDSL-26R is a 1964 40hp Johnson, not a 65hp model. Small wonder for the confusion.

There are two black wires that connect to the back of the ignition switch terminals. The terminals are marked "M" which stands for magneto.

With the key off, those two black wires are connected internally within the ignition switch, which kills the ignition.

With the key on, the wires are not connected internally within the ignition switch which allows the points, condensers, and coils to operate normally.

I suspect that you have those two black wires connected wrong, to some source that is throwing 12 volts directly to the points which will destroy them. If this is the case, there's a very good chance that you have damaged both coils and condensers also.

Joe
"

Think you Joe the wires were

Think you Joe the wires were wrong and now the
motor is running great.
"JOE IS THE MAN"

THINK YOU Tim

Back