Logo

Mercury Inline Reed Block Differences

K

Kirk Spradling

" Hi,

I'm rebuilding a

" Hi,

I'm rebuilding a basket case '70 Mercury 1350. From what I can tell, the reed blocks are different from the later model engines. The part numbers are different, too. The reason I am asking this is because the original crankshaft was trashed and I've found a later model one. The later model engines used a plastic restrictor valve that the 1350 doesn't. The reeds themselves are identical yet the blocks are different. My instincts tell me that I should use the original reed blocks with the newer model crankshaft. There is a port on the inside of the reed block on the later model that isn't there on the earlier ones. Is this the reason for the use of restrictor valves in the intake ports?

None of the reeds are good on the crankshafts I have so I am replacing them. Any recommendations on the plastic reeds or should I just stick with OEM stuff?

Thanks again!

Kirk "

"Kirk,

If you can tell me t

"Kirk,

If you can tell me the model and year of the two engines that the crankshafts are from I can tell you if the parts are interchangeable.

"

" Tony,

Unfortunately, that

" Tony,

Unfortunately, that information is not available to me. It appears that it should work correctly. The only difference in the reed cages looks to be a drainage port on one part of the casting. The motor uses the same reed valves, main bearings, etc. so I can't see how anything would matter. The original motor is a 1970 1350 and the other is a later model 1150. It was reported to be a 150hp however, it doesn't contain the correct reeds or reed stops so it is probably a 115/140hp. If I put the old/new cranks side by side, there is no different noticable at all.

I just like to worry!

Kirk "

Back