Logo

Power Reeds Air Bleeds Tuning and Other Tales

R

R. Wood

" I recently found myself quit

" I recently found myself quite adventurous and decided to add Boysen Power Reeds to my dual ?4 1.6l Sea Drives. As with most of my projects this one quickly spun out of control!
The starboard motor of the installation was rebuilt (At rebuild all 4 cylinders hoovered around 125 - 130) with currently about 30 ?40 hours on it. It? anybody guess on the port motor, although compression checked out @ 120 on top 2, 110ish on bottom 2). It should also be noted, I have a relatively new fuel pump on the starboard motor (20 hours?), I believe the port fuel pump is orginal.

While upgrading to the power reeds I also rebuilt all 4 carbs, replaced intake manifold recirc check valves, replaced all fuel lines, filters, and plugs. In addition I replaced exhaust cover gaskets on the port motor due to an inlet water leak, and also the stats (I thought they may be stuck, and needed to remove to get at exhaust cover. You know the story....might as well, might as well, might as well!!!

So the story goes, Boyseen recommends several options (motor dependant) to prevent backfiring (they explain the reeds can be damaged, I guess the carbon fiber reed material will burn up!)

From their installtion instructions ?ACKFIRE, a lean condition in the idle circuit, sometimes described as lean pop, coughing, or sneezing?

The items applicable to my situation are (as per their installation instructions): 1) Down size idle air jets 5 sizes (.005) 2) On some worn or modified engines, no adjustment necessary.

After rework I ran both engines on a flush with cowling off. The port motor fired right and ran silky smooth (set idle to about 1000 rpm), never could ask for better..... smooth, smooth, smooth!!!

The starboard motor of the installation was a little stubborn to start, but also fired right up (also set idle to about 1000 prm). The sound of the motor was quite different. It seemed to run strong (seemed to have good fuel, and spark, no hesitation or wanting to stall), but had what I? call a ?onsistent consecutive pop? The pop was consitent at idle, and seemed to remain consistent with throttle.

Not being an expert (believe it or not, this is my first in-depth expierence with motor tinkering of any kind)I? not sure if this popping is indeed a lean condition and I? at risk of burning up my prized power reeds? Or can the significant ?ound?differences be attributed to higher compression of the rebuild, or newwer fule pump? Should they sound more alike, or would you expect a "stark" difference.

I would really hate to burn those reeds up after all the $$$$, toil and trouble. I picked up a set of downsized jets to try but haven? had a chance (had "33"'s was able to get "26"'s). Any harm or foul with a richer idle condiiton?

(Sorry to be so winded!!!!)

RW "

Back