Logo

64 40hp eveinrude slippage

R

rod lake

" Joe
When ever I give full

" Joe
When ever I give full throttle the rpm's go up but I don't gain any speed. As long as I ease into the the throttle it's ok. Also when making a short turn it seems to slip the rpm's go up, boat goes nowhere What should I be looking for?
Any ideas "

"Rod..... That would be contri

"Rod..... That would be contributed to one of two things. Either the engine is setting too high on the transom, and can be checked by looking at the cavitation plate (the horizontial plate just above the prop). That plate should be approximately one inch (1") below the keel (bottom of the boat at the transom). If that plate is less than 1" below the keel, even with the keel, or above the keel, the prop will draw air, not water.

The second thing (and most likely) is that the hub on the prop is slipping. If so, the prop can be re-hubbed by a reliable prop shop. The alternative is to buy a new prop.

Props consist of a bronze hub that is vaulcanized to the aluminum or steel prop via a substance similar to that used on motor mounts. When the vaulcanize fails, the hub turns but the prop slips.

Joe
"

Joe
Thanks. The plate is goo

Joe
Thanks. The plate is good so it looks like it's gonna be a new prop

Rod

Back