Logo

1962 Mercury outboard 100hp help

A

adjusted

" I have a 1962 merc 100 hp se

" I have a 1962 merc 100 hp serial number 1517494 that is having lowerer end problems. At slow speeds everything seams to run just fine. As I increase speed and the motor is under more load, the drive shaft seams to slip at the prop. I have rebuilt the prop and am assured that the prop bushing is not the problem, or is it? As I increase power the engine drive train "slips" and then catches creating a loud "clunk" as it reengages. The power train continues to slip and re-engage. Can anyone help me with a cure and where should I start looking as to the cause of the problem. It appears to be a prop slip but that has been replaced. Thanks "

" The shifting mechanism in yo

" The shifting mechanism in your lower unit consists of various items, three of which are the forward gear, reverse gear, and what is normally called a shifter dog. This dog in neutral rides between the two gears. The dog has lobes protruding from the front and back of it. The gears have like lobes machined into them. When the engine is put into forward gear, the dog slams into forward gear and the lobes lock into each other, resulting in the gear, which is constantly turning when the engine is running, turning the dog which is splined to the prop shaft. If those lobes become worn, they are able to slip momentary out of the gear.... and due to pressure still being exerted by the shift cable, the dog slams right back into the gear.... and this cycle continues. It gets worse as the rpms increase. The clunking that you hear, and the sensation that you are hitting something is due to the fact that your engine is jumping out of gear, then back into gear, etc etc etc. Do not put off having this problem corrected as It will get worse and more expensive. "

Back