Logo

Yamaha IO

C

canuck

" Does anyone have any informa

" Does anyone have any information or know where I can get information on a 3.0 litre Yamaha engine and outdrive setup? I am having trouble getting shifting problems sorted out as my mechanic is not familiar with this outdrive. He said it is close to a Merc but has some differences. Any info would be appreciated. If it is a worst case scenario, can it be replaced with a new outdrive? Thanks in advance. "

I've got a 5.7L Yammie I/

I've got a 5.7L Yammie I/O which had shift problems. Basically the engine killer was kicking in and staying in so the engine died every time I tried to go in or out of gear. Turned out that
1. The shift cables were 10yo and stuffed
2. The first mechanic to change them used the wrong ones
3. Some of the shift linkages in the leg were slightly corroded and binding.

My leg is fine now; just find a local Yammie outboard dealer who should be able to point you to a mech with I/O experience.

" Thanks for the info. I had t

" Thanks for the info. I had the same problem last year with the engine killer switch. You are probably right, the mechanic either installed the wrong cable or didn't put it together properly. The boat is now at a different shop and we'll see what happens. "

thought i was the only boat m

thought i was the only boat mech.that ever sat all day in the hot sun trying every adj.poss.take it frm a yamaha mech.replace the cables with new ones and follow mfg.dir.for cable end measurements also replace that water pump impella every season as yamaha 3ltr is getting harder to find in junkyards

" i have two yamaha I/O's

" i have two yamaha I/O's 4.7 ltr. I found that in the outdrive there is on pivot point in the gimble houseing where the lower shift cable terminates and another pivot point where the shift rod terminates in the upper drive shaft housing. Each point has an oil seal and coupling. My oil seals went bad and caused corrosion in both pivot points. I removed the outdrive, took off the lower unit and cleaned these pivot points. I replaced the oil seals and couplings. These parts are still available so is the main seal. My shifting problems are over for now. Also make sure you didn't bend the shift cable in the transom housing it should allow the shift lever to move over it freely. All parts including the shift shaft should move easily using your fingers. "

What a relief to find I wasn&

What a relief to find I wasn't the only Yamaha I/O with the shift cable trouble. It would be nice to have reverse for docking! Question: who makes a good Yamaha shop manual? Clymer? And do we always have to go thru the local Yamaha dealer for parts? YECHT... Paul in FL

" I have a 1992 Yamaha outboar

" I have a 1992 Yamaha outboard, Model 115TLRQ, code 6E5. I need to replact the shift rod between the power head and the lower unit. Does the power head have to be removed to replace this shift rod? If not, then how does it get replaced?
Thanks for you help,
Chuck "

I have two Yamaha Diesel Ster

I have two Yamaha Diesel Stern drives with shift problems. Transmissions are Hydra drive and shifting gets very hard because of excessive metal debris in the drive. Back bearing case (upper unit) has to be dismantled and cleaned.
No explanation from Yamaha Japan and hard to get service in some countries.
If your lower unit is a hydra drive I can send illustrations of the procedure.

"hamadi,

I am very interest

"hamadi,

I am very interested in you problem as I also use 2x Hydra Dives with the Yamaha ME370.
Any info regarding these setups would be appreciated"

"Does any one know where I can

"Does any one know where I can get a performance graph : HP, torque,fuel usage etc for a Yamaha me421 sti"

Back