Logo

Flywheel Magnets

gus

" It appears that the magnets

" It appears that the magnets are loose AGAIN on my 89 175 evinrude. I had them done about 3 years ago. This time I'm doing it myself. Anything special I should know before hand?
Does the dealer have a kit for this?

Also, is this a maintenence thing or just incidental. "

" The dealer will have a kit.

" The dealer will have a kit. If you want to do it yourself a few things will help. First the epoxy will have to be a high temp polymide cured epoxy. I can not remember the manufacturer that supplies OMC, but it is a "wet patching epoxy" . In order to remove the flywheel you will need a 1 7/8 socket (check that size) and an impact wrench. Clean the inside of the flywheel very clean and after roughing it up vertically wash it with lacquer thinner or acetone. Be sure to orient the magnets as they came out. The first time I did this job I bought one kit so I would have the factory instructions. I ran twin 225 s and had to do this every year or two. I hear them when they get loose, but it is a good idea to check them from time to time by feeling under the lip of the flywheel to see if you can move any of them. Do this ONLY when the engine cannot be started or turned over by someone. "

what if they all came loose a

what if they all came loose and you don't now where they were? I know what the spacing is just not really sure where to start.

Back