Logo

Info on Chris Craft 327F

J

Josh Turner

" I just bought an old Penn Ya

" I just bought an old Penn Yan boat with a bad Chrysler 318 in it. The guy also gave me a Chris Craft 327F motor, newly rebuilt with trans and all hooked to it. Does anyone have any idea if there is any good tech info, websites, etc out there for this engine and the transmission. The tranny is mounted to the front of the engine on here so it creates a RH drive out of a LH motor. Please give any help/advice you have about tech info on this. "

"Ah, right up my alley. The g

"Ah, right up my alley. The good old CC flywheel forward V8. I'd check out www.chris-craft.org, home of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club. If they still have their listserve, join it! The members are very knowledgeable and willing to help. The Antique and Classic Boat Society at www.acbs.org is also a good source for your vintage Penn Yan. I've done a couple build-ups on 283/350 flywheel forwards, so if you have some specific questions, I might be able to help.

One quick note, if the trans is a manual Paragon (uses engine oil instead of trans fluid) you'll need the shifter rod & handle, too. You may have a hydraulic Paragon, though.

"

Hey tell me how I can get in

Hey tell me how I can get in touch with you concerning the shift rod etc. I do believe it has a manual paragon with it. So do you know where to get the shift rod etc you mentioned.

"One of the best sources is &#

"One of the best sources is "The Brass Bell", a magazine published by the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club. Lots of vintage boat & parts sources in it. Otherwise, just Google around the web for vintage boat parts. You may need some diligence to find these fairly rare parts.

The reason I mentioned it is that the manual Paragon uses leverage supplied by your hand on the lever to engage the clutches. It won't work with a standard cable setup for a hydraulic gear. It's a simple mechanism, but the levers and pivots are a must to make it work.

I'd prefer to keep it on this forum rather than email so others can benefit, too.

"

" Croozertoo,
Thanks for t

" Croozertoo,
Thanks for the info, i am checking into the Brass Bell. Do you think what I am doing will be feasable?......putting the flywheel forward engine and tranny into the Penn Yan boat? I guess the only real obstacle will be getting the shaft lined up and actually mounting the engine. Then I can sort of adapt all the other systems to the new motor. Perhaps I should find some pics or info on a Chris Craft that has this engine in it. It is a manual shift tranny so I will need to dig around and find some goodies to get that hooked up. Thanks for the inputs. "

Back