Logo

b85 120 Johnson I solved it

alan

Contributing Member
" I am placing this here for t

" I am placing this here for those who might need the info. I was having a tough time w/ this and I was spinning in circles the fix was staring me in the face !!!: Initially I wrote:

My Johnson runs great!

Except there is a one second 'blackout'/miss where the motor will cleanly and completely turn off and come back right where it 'left off'. One second. It's not a cough or a sneeze - It happens cold, warm, at hi or low RPM's. Sometimes the motor will just quit for a second and then like magic, pick right up and run great - or some times it will happen a few times, 6-8x in a row, like your heart stops for a second and then kicks back in.

I believe it is either my stator or my power pack. I have made sure it was not the gas via a 6 gallon supplemental tank. I have also narrowed out the neutral/ key switch by starting the motor - disconnecting the main harness and running her. I have visually checked the wires coming from the stator for good contact ( they all look clean and like they are connecting correctly ). I have knocked on the powerpack w/ a screw driver whil it was in the middel of happening ( no effect ) - the skip still happens...

IT TURNS OUT, THAT THERE ARE TWO BROWN WIRES COMING FORM THE STATOR THAT "PLUG INTO" THE POWER PACK VIA A 'RUBBER BOOT PLUG THING'. THIS (2) PRONG PLUG WAS THE PROBLEM THE WHOLE TIME !!!??? IT HAD A LITTLE WATER IN IT ( I DO NOT KNOW HOW )AND SMELLED "BURNT", SO I CLEANED IT OUT W/ Q-TIPS AND RUBBING ALCOLHOL ( SHOP MANUAL DIRECTIONS ) AND VOILA - INSTANT FIX. ADDED A LITTLE DIELECTRIC GREASE - NO BAD POWER PACK OR STATOR LIKE I WAS SURE IT WAS..

GO FIGURE !? "

Back