Logo

Yamaha exhaust corrosion problems

J

jdunn

My wife's 40 hp Yamaha ha

My wife's 40 hp Yamaha has recently developed a 1/2 hole in the shaft housing at the waterline. The exhaust now vents thru this hole instead of underwater. The simple repair would be to glue a small plate to cover the hole. Has anyone found a decent way to repair this short of replacing the shaft housing?

"JDunn..... Although Yamahas a

"JDunn..... Although Yamahas are not my line of expertise, your problem would pertain to any engine. My suggestion would be to use "Gray" Marine Tec. Do not use the "White" Marine Tec. The "Gray" mix is much stronger (in my opinion) and can be filed, sanded, drilled, tapped, painted etc.

As an experiment years ago, I had a 225hp V/6 block that had thrown a connecting rod through the crankcase portion of the block. This area had no real engineering purpose (bearing surface etc) so its area contect was not critical other than to maintain crankcase pressure.

The engine belonged to a friend of mine and I asked him if he would allow me to try to repair that 2-1/2" hole with this Gray Marine Tec. His response was that I would be saving him the cost of a block if it holds, and to go ahead with the attempt.

After sanding, filing etc, and cleaning the area inside and out with acetone, I masked the inside portion of that hole with masking tape. I then applied a layer of the Gray Marine Tec to the outside portion, allowing it to dry overnight. I did this three times which brought the outer layer up to a point whereas I could file and sand the area so that it looked like the original contour, after which I primed and painted it.

Bottom line is that my friends 225hp engine is still running strong. That repair (experiment)took place in 1990.

Enough said?

Joe
"

" JDunn,
Another product that

" JDunn,
Another product that many people swear by for cast iron repair is JB WELD.
Regards,
Andrew "

"JDunn,

I agree with Joe an

"JDunn,

I agree with Joe and Andrew, and would add that you probably have an electrolysis problem which is causing the mid-section to dissolve.

Tony"

Back