Logo

Transom Door

millrock

"I have a 1988 Trojan 11 meter

"I have a 1988 Trojan 11 meter International Express. Im thinking of having a transom door cut into the boat on the port side, the marina I am in does fiberglass work and said no problem with no loss of strength across the back. Has anyone done this and what are anyones view on this concept. Thanks Phil"

"A couple of boats in our mari

"A couple of boats in our marina have had it done and love it...no leaks and easy access.

There are two arguments and that is ....

do you want the door to swing "in" ?

do you want the door to swing "out"?

"in" and some folks worry about taking a 'big one' across the stern and flooding.......

"out" and some folks say it makes getting in and out of the boat awkward......

If I was going to do it, I would have the door swing "in", against the inside gunwhale cause all the doors I have seen have a a great seal and a good sturdy lock/latch and I don't see any problem with getting a "big" one on the stern. It is also a much more pleasing design as all the hinge work is confined to the inside of the boat and does not break the clean lines of the stern/transome.

The one boat that had an outward swinging door 'said' he liked it but I really thought he was only saying that and really wished he had gone for a "in" door
wink.gif

PS..Just re-read your post and see you want to go in from the side...OK... but you have to remember to always put that side against a dock. A door in the stern allows access from either side via the swim platform(if you have one)

good luck."

"Phil,
This interesting as I

"Phil,
This interesting as I know of one other guy with my exact boat, 2 serial numbers away, who is an architect. HE told me a few years ago he is going to do this same project. I was amazed...WHO CUTS A HOLE in the back of their boat, but he showed me pictures of other boats like ours that also did the same thing. I love the idea . I will pass your email address to him if you like. He is very talented and may pass along some thoughts."

"Seen it done with an aluminum

"Seen it done with an aluminum boat. No reason why it shouldn't work just fine IF the fabricator uses his/ her head. The open cut needs to be sealed with waxed resin to prevent water egress, and the opening reinforced properly.

Jeff

PS: If you do it, insist that the door opens the right way--OUTWARD! I cringe to see doors with flimsy locks and hinges that open INWARD. One good following wave and the boat can swamp. Can't tell you how many salesman have heard the lash of my tongue over that--and on some super expensive boats, too."

"Can't agree Jeff. Outwar

"Can't agree Jeff. Outward opening doors are ALWAYS in the way when they're open, making it difficult to try and "sneak by" them on the swim platform, especially if you're carrying stuff on or off of the boat. In addition to that, I'd rather take a wave than have it pop open when someone is thrown against it and have to fish them out of the ocean. Good hardware doesn't matter if someone doesn't latch it.

There's a lot of liability that goes with this and feature that's why most manufacturers design the doors to open inward."

"Rick,

Can you provide a s

"Rick,

Can you provide a simple explanation as to HOW the hull is un affected by cutting away a portion of the transom. My boat as you know, has a hull and a joined decking top. If you cut the hull, doe it not have an ability to fold in towards to two sides of the new cutout?

Is there enough strength in the glass to support this?
May be a dumb question but I have NO IDEA"

"Al, Believe it or not, the t

"Al, Believe it or not, the transom of an inboard powered boat is not a high stress area. Just look at some of the military landingcraft or dive boats with nearly no transom at all. I know it's a different animal but it's still the same species. My main concern regarding the structure would be having a travel lift operator strap too far back, but if that is the case, he's bending shafts anyway.

If I were to cut in a transom door I would probably look at possibly installing additional bonds to more securely tie the hull and deck together (below the deck) at the transom. I would not expect it to ever be an issue but I tend to overdo things."

"..."I'd rather take a

"..."I'd rather take a wave than have it pop open when someone is thrown against it and have to fish them out of the ocean."

That's a very good point, especially with kids about.

Jeff"

"My transom door open out ward

"My transom door open out ward, when open it is held in place by a snap one of the ones used for the canvas cover for the back. I find opening out ward is better for fishing because when open, it is not in the boat, thus in the way."

"You mean like this? This is

"You mean like this? This is a 46 Sea Ray. The moron that came up with this one should be fired. Nevermind he's probably laid off anyway.

374400.jpg
"

Poor design. My door is two pi

Poor design. My door is two pieces. The top lifts up and lays down on the transom. Then it is only the door frame that opens.

"I do a lot of sport fishing d

"I do a lot of sport fishing down in South FLorida and generally we like to see a one piece door that opens in. You can latch it, or someone can lean against it to control the door.

The two piece types that have the top fold open and the door swing eventually meet with problems along the hinges at the base of the top folding piece. Plus, why have two moving pieces and sets of hinges when you can only have one? If you use a heavy duty latch you won't have to worry about the door popping open if a wave hits your transom. Someone said it best here already, if a door is going to "pop" open, why not have it open in and allow some water in the cockpit rather than opening out and risk loosing the most important thing of all (a passenger or child).

Furthermore, an outward opening door requires a "catch" on the transom so that the door doesn't swing around while open. Imagine a hand in the wrong place and all the sudden the door comes swinging shut and WHAMO! broken hands fingers.... This catch will always be in the way on the swim platform, and can be pretty dangerous. I have seen a small white Marlin impale itself on a transom door latch in Cabo San Lucas. If a fish can do that, I don't want the same danger should a guest or family member slip on my swim platform.

It's just my opinion, but I would recommend a one piece inward swinging door."

"I just want to go fishing in

"I just want to go fishing in Cabo San Lucas , THAT would be fantastic BUT THEN....to have the fish jump on my door latch would really top it all off!!!

On a differnt note...is there such a thing like a pocket door that slides in and out of a hidden recess ?"

"How's this for an idea:

"How's this for an idea: Have the transom door be a pocket door that slides sideways and fits inside the hollow transom! Best of both worlds, and it's out of the way.

I may pattern that...

Jeff"

Back