Logo

Intake manifols gasket

rgood7

"I just bought a 1982 Evenrude

"I just bought a 1982 Evenrude outboard 150 HP on a 1984 Ranger bass boat and found the previous owner had used something looking like JB Weld along the edge of the intake manifold to seal it. Is an intake gasket a project for a mechanically handy novice to boat motors, and what other problems could this leak be causing?
Thanks RG"

"Yes, a mechanically savvy DIY

"Yes, a mechanically savvy DIY guy can get this done.

Leaking carbs can cause a lean condition and should be addressed. Depending on the size of the air leak the problems can range from poor idling, poor bottom end performance, all the way to melting a piston.

Are the carbs plastic or metal? Once you remove the carbs, be sure to check them for flatness on the sealing surface. If they are warped you will need to either find a way to get them flat or replace them.

KJ"

"The leak is on the engine sid

"The leak is on the engine side of the intake, does that make any difference? Compression is 85 pounds on all six cylinders. The JB weld appears to have been there for some time and has been added to at least once. Do the carbs have to come off before the intake can be taken off?
Tks RG"

"OK, thanks a million! I'l

"OK, thanks a million! I'll make this my winter "project" and see how it goes. If I get in trouble I'll holler again....THANKS
RG"

Back