Logo

Chris Craft 283 engine pump impeller replacement

dale_genther

"I have a 1962 CC Sea Skiff wi

"I have a 1962 CC Sea Skiff with a 283 engine in it. The rew water pump is coupled in series with the generator on the stbd. side of the engine. I need to replace the impellers (I think there are two in the pump). The pump is in a very inaccessable spot. From looking at it I can't tell for certain how to disassemble it to replace the impellers. The old CC manual I have says to remove "four caps screws", but gives no additional information. The only four matching screws I can see are what looks to be the ones to the coupling that attaches the pump to the alternator. There does appear to be 5 or 6 slotted machine screws that look more likey to be the correct ones to replce the imnpeller. Can anyone lead me thru this impeller replacement process?"

"Dale !
If my memory serves m

"Dale !
If my memory serves me correctly that pump is what they call a dual pocket pump by Sherwood Brass. and if I were you I would remove the pump from the rear of the generator and take it in your workshop to make repairs I'm not sure but most of those pumps were gear to gear, and the gears were keyed and pressed on the shafts. Your not going to be able to repair the pump in the boat. I would be very afraid of losing parts to the pump in the bilges of the boat. The gaskets are only about .003-.005 thick. very fragile. What is you pump doing anyway? I will look and see if I still have the pages of the service and part manual on that particular pump, and will scan them and send them to you. I have a pair of 283's but I think they are 1963 model year they have an altenator instead of a generator."

I have the same engines and sa

I have the same engines and same pump. I've replaced the impellers many times. I have notes at home reminding me how to do it as I've done it the hard and easy way. I'll reply further over the weekend

"I realized that my notes are

"I realized that my notes are in the boat which is in storage (We're enjoying winter in Minnesota). However, I've attached a picture of the pump. If you look at the PDF attached you see a very nice closeup. I've labelled it to show which screws to pull to remove the pump and which to get at the impellers. Hope that helps. Bill

335523.jpg
283 waterpump

I see that after I uploaded th

I see that after I uploaded the picture my arrows and text don't show well. If you look closely you see the red arrow on the right. Those are the screws you take out to remove the pump. The red arrow on the left is to get at the impellors

"Thanks Bill,

From what I

"Thanks Bill,

From what I can tell what is probably easiest for me to do is:
1.Remove the four bolts that couple the pump to the generator. These are the bolts you can see on the right of your pict., where the blue paint meets the bronze. These are easier to access than the screws indicated by your right arrow. Or is there some reason I shouldn't do it my way and do exactly where you suggest?

2. Remove the four hoses that connect to the pump. I can see that this will not be easy as I can barely touch or see them much less get them off.

3. Bring the pump home to my work bench. Remove the screws that are indicated by your left arrow. Change out the impellers and reinstall the pump."

I "think" that should

I "think" that should work just as well but I don't think I have ever done it that way. maybe someone else will know. Have you found the empellor replacements? I could dig out the source and part numbers of you haven't. I also think you need to put vasoline on the impeller's to make it easier to slide them in but I can't remember what is the best lubricant that won't damage the rubber. Better check with the manufacture. Getting to the water hoses is tough on my starboard engine too. Good luck.

Hey guys, I have a 1963 Chris Craft custom ski boat with a chevy 283. I had over heating problems, took the same pump apart, inspected it, looked fine put it back together and realized all it need was to service the grease cap with more grease and it worked fine. Then the next year I could not get this original pump to work took apart again found no problem, called chris craft parfts.com and Robert said these pumps are not rebuildable because of the brass impellers (2) so I ordered a rebuilt pump from them. This rebuild will not suck water into the engine.
The tolerances for these pumps must be very close and the gasket thickness critical. You can't take the pump apart without ruining the gaskets and I could not find parts. I'll see what Classic Boat connection has.
Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
I'm primarily into the Volvo Penta I/O's! I don't work on these at all.
But when I see these, I have to say that my hat's off to you guys who are willing to work on these, let alone, keep this configuration.

Just curious, is this similar to the system being discussed?

283starboard.jpg

You have to remove the four bolts and separate the pump from the engine. Once removed the part number is stamped on the mating flange. You will need this to get the right impellers. They made several pumps that look the same but take different impellers.

Back