Logo

Volvo penta 280 value

92banana

Hi to everyone.
I have a comp

Hi to everyone.
I have a complete 280 from a 1979 boat that is being parted out. It looks pretty good and is complete from bellhousing to propeller. What would be a fair price for the complete unit?
thanks. Randy

Check e-bay to see the range o

Check e-bay to see the range of prices in your area. You might also check the local marine bone yards to see what they're getting. But it really boils down to what someone needs and what they're willing to pay.

"Randy, breaking these parts u

"Randy, breaking these parts up will be more hassle, but will net you more money when selling them on e-Bay, for example.

The engine type and over-all gear ratio will be the deciding factor as to what money some of the parts may bring.

All of these vintage transmissions (upper units) are of the same ratio!
The lower unit ratios differ for each engine.
4 cylinder lowers are a dime/dozen, where as the V-8 lowers will bring you better money.
Interestingly enough, the savvy buyer will know the greater value of a transmission from a 4 cylinder engine!

FYI; "Bell Housing" is an automotive term..... this marine part is called a "Flywheel Cover".
The 4 cylinder F/C's are in the dime/dozen category whereas the SBC V-8 F/C's are worth much more.
If in excellent condition, and if selling next spring, the SBC V-8 F/C alone can bring $450 or so.

A double exhaust relief transom shield is $3k + from V/P now days. If you have one of these, hang on to it for spring time.

Make sure that the propeller can be removed! (corrosion?)

Good photos with no crap in the background works much better.
Have fun with it!"

Thanks for the input. This I/O

Thanks for the input. This I/O was connected to a 350 Chev. So the flywheel cover is chev small block. thanks. Randy

"OK, that's good!
If the

"OK, that's good!
If the exhaust mans have the raised Volvo Penta in the castings, and if they are two piece units, then you likely have the double relief Y pipe and transom shield.
This shield should be worth about $700/800 if cherry!

."

Back