Logo

Just replaced Trim Pump Will not trim down

big_chief

"Hey guys,

My trim pump wa

"Hey guys,

My trim pump was frozen solid after sitting for about a year. I just replaced the pump and all elec is working now. However, unit will not trim DOWN. Boat was stored UP and I was able to move the unit UP for about 1/4 but will not move DOWN.

Not too familiar with hydraulics... Can I just disconnect the ram arm to check for movement? Is they system under any pressure?

Any suggestions?

1981 Grady, Mercruiser 470

Thanks"

Remove one trim ram and then c

Remove one trim ram and then click the switch to trim down. If hard then apply more weight on the drive to assist the one trim cylinder in trimming down. Once it trims down trim back up install the ram u had removed and remove the other one. And do the same. This has happened to me a couple of times. after you get both rams moving install them and u should get trim down.

"Ayuh,... Have somebody run th

"Ayuh,... Have somebody run the pump down, as someone is Jumping on the drive...

The hyd. pressure is Hi, on the up stroke,+ Low on the down stroke...

My guess is the rams, or the drive itself is corroded, or just plain ole Hung up..."

"HA, its my lucky day... Turns

"HA, its my lucky day... Turns out it was just stuck. 200 lbs later, its working perfect. THANKS

Some other quick questions while I'm at it...

1. I used Quicksilver Power Trim/Steering as fluid. It dawned on me I removed a redish color fluid, guessing it was ATF... Is what I used okay?

2. Currently the trim sender and trim limit are disconnected. My trim motor is a 3 wire, not using the purple wire from the switch. Do I need to connect the trim limit? Also, do I need to connect the trim sender? I assume this is just for a gauge only?

FYI: Its a new boat to me... I bought the boat 2 months ago, hence all the work I'm now doing.

Thanks again for all the help,"

if your trim limit is working

if your trim limit is working you are better off connecting it so u have peace of mind that your drive unit wont come up and out of the water when you're under way. the trim sender is only for the gauge. if you know your boat pretty good you dont really need the gauge.

personally i would use atf i've never used trim/steering fluid.

I think steering/trim fluid an

I think steering/trim fluid and ATF are pretty much the same thing.

You don't need the trim limit switch just be sure you know where your drive is when you're running. I disconnected mine when I found out the switch on the OD was bad and the fix was going to be a huge PITA. I just put the outdrive all the way down in the water and leave it when I'm running. I have Bennett trim tabs so I don't really need to mess with the OD trim.

Back