Logo

Tamd41a oil additive

goody

Regular Contributor
going to change oil soon wonde

going to change oil soon wondering if i should use some kind of additive to get rid of some of the smoke seems to be smoking more than normal any suggestions

That depends on the color of t

That depends on the color of the smoke!
Blue: Burning oil.
Black: Too much diesel or too little air or a combination.
White: Lack of cooling water (raw) in exhaust.
Pick your color and start from there.

it's blue the eng. is 1989

it's blue the eng. is 1989 41a i know they smoke i was just trying to buy some time before i got to have it rebuilt maybe it's because the water got alot colder
thanks

"No 'snake oil' may cu

"No 'snake oil' may cure that.
Total rebuild, I do not believe unless you have passed some 7000 hours.
Check intake AFTER turbo. If oily - turbo seals.
If around 3000 hrs, may even be a head job coming up."

Wouldn't "burning oil&

Wouldn't "burning oil" be accompanied by a loss of oil level and a need to top off the oil level from time to time?

i fished today boat smoked for

i fished today boat smoked for awhile after i put a load on it it got better turbo was new in spring engine has 983 hours on it i'll check the seals morten can you tell me the best way to look at seals
thank you
merry xmas

"Turbo 'seals' may not

"Turbo 'seals' may not be checked by inspection. They are just similar to piston rings , and changed if bad. Only way to check is if oil in intake after turbo.
If building up oil when at low rpm, most likely valve seals.
20 yrs old engine and only less that 1000hrs, might be head/valve seal time.
Take off one valve cover and check if rocker arms are covered with black sludge. If so, run a good cleaning oil.
I used to run my 31's on Castrol GTX 3, but that was long ago! kept the engines remarkable clean.
They ran about 200 hrs a year however, I changed oil and filter after every 100 hrs."

Back