Logo

Removing prop on 75 hp 1954 Evinrude

I am moving on to the lower un

I am moving on to the lower unit of my 1954 7.5 hp Evinrude. Manual gives directions after removing the prop but nothing is said about how to remove the prop. There is a cone shaped slip clutch "consisting of a cone and cone shaped housing". Manual says cone is attached to the prop shaft by a pin or key and "the cone shaped housing is an integral part of the prop". How does the prop come off? Does the "cone" come off first? Or does it come off with the prop? Thanks for your help!

"First thing to remove is the

"First thing to remove is the pin. On OMC motors of the 50s this is usually a cotter pin. After the pin is removed the cone is taken off. The cone maybe threaded (right hand thread) to the prop shaft or just slipped on depending on the model. The prop is held to the shaft via another pin (either a shear or drive pin, which look alike but are made of different metals) which is either on the cone side of the prop or located behind the prop as you pull the prop off. Only tools that should be needed to remove the prop would be a pair of pliers to straighten the cotter pin for removal and maybe to turn the threaded cone counter-clockwise if you can't turn it by hand."

"Thanks Curt, and thanks too t

"Thanks Curt, and thanks too to R. Stacy for the email. I thought the rubber cone could be pryed off but I am always nervous when I (few mechanical skills) think about solving problems by prying of hitting something with a hammer. You guys are great! Thanks again!"

Back