Logo

Historyexperience w 1999 Yamaha 100 4 stroke

dlippert

I am in negotiation to purchas

I am in negotiation to purchase a BW Dauntless (16') with 1999 Yamaha 100 4 stroke. The survey indicated the engine has some corrosion on the main yoke attachment to power head.. This is the part the sterring arm attaches to. Evidently Yamaha used cast part with low grade SS bolts in early versions of this engine.. If crrosion is bad the whole motor has to be disassembled to replace bad part-- this is part one of engine assembly..

I would appreciate the forums experience with this engine.. As it is a 10 yr old engine - i'm not expecting much from it.. I would hope this corrosion issue is more cosmetic vs immenent failure.

Thanks for any input.

Drew

"Drew, "just in time"

"Drew, "just in time" may have some direct experience with this model, but suspect he is away on Christmas holidays.

I do however agree with you assessment - it's actually almost a 12 year old motor now since a 99 model was probably churned out in 98 and 2010 models are at the dealers, so I personally wouldn't place alot of value in the motor when trying to determine a fair price for the package.

Corrosion can lead to some very tedious, time consuming repairs. Often the corroded part (a rod or bolt) is inexpensive, but if you rely on a shop to replace it you could be looking at many hundreds of dollars of labour to replace that 2 dollar bolt.

The engine itself is an inline 4, about 98 cubic inches with 4 valves per cylinder. A decent design well suited to producing 100 horses.

The biggest problem with 4 strokes is lack of use coupled with lack of maintenance. They are infinately less forgiving than a 2 stroke when it comes to sitting around.

A 10 year old 2 stroke is usually "just getting broken in", a 10 year old 4 stroke is usually sitting in the scrap pile.

You mention the surveyor noted the corrosion. If he is not a marine tech as well you may want to either 1) place no value on the motor itself and negotiate a price for the boat based on that or 2) spend the cost of a couple hours labour and have a Yami tech check out the motor.

The bit of corrosion may be the least of the engines problems if it has not been maintained through the years."

Back