Logo

50GXI 270HP

bschip43

Regular Contributor
Dose anyone have any ideas on

Dose anyone have any ideas on how I can get more HP out of the stock motor with bolt ons or ??

"Blower is the fastest way but

"Blower is the fastest way but not cheap.

I doubt you will find anything to add lots of HP, for a small sum.

Don't forget to ensure the rest of the driveline will handle any 'improvements' you may make.

The 'cheapest' way to add HP (and more importantly, torque) is to add displacement."

"The most reliable way to &#34

"The most reliable way to "dial" in your power is with camshaft mods. Depending on what you want to do for torque, horsepower and RPM. Performance can be adjusted moderatly and modestly. We have done lots of work with dirt track engines at the dyno. Check out our machine shop at pdqengine.com thanks Tim"

I have been told that changing

I have been told that changing my SX drive to a duo-prop would give me 80hp more at the prop..is this good intell

"Was the same guy also selling

"Was the same guy also selling Cancer cures in a little bottle?

Changing your drive could give you some minor increases in shaft horse power but no where near 80 - maybe if you drop the zero

Brake Horse Power - what is available/rated at the crankshaft usually gets reduced by 10% or so by the time it makes it to the prop (depending on how many gears etc it passes through) and what is available there is called Shaft Horse Power.

So your 270 horse set-up (at the prop) might actually be cranking out 290 or so horses at the crank.

Since there is no way bolting up a drive will increase your brake horses, and your shaft horses can not exceed the brake horses, 80 horses is totally out of the question - even 20 horses would be almost impossible...

But a duo-prop set-up would run smoother, allow you to plane quicker and at a lower speed - so it would probably save you some fuel depending on how you use your rig..."

"Thanks Graham, I need to find

"Thanks Graham, I need to find a duo=prop setup and someone to buy my 2007 SX drive...I use the boat for wakeboarding and the duoprop sounds like what I need to help in the lower RPM range"

"If you do mostly boarding and

"If you do mostly boarding and don't go WOT all the time, you may want to try a smaller pitched propeller - going "underpropped". This will let the engine rev up much quicker so it will get to its power band faster. You have to what it so it doesn't redline...usually not a problem once you get used to it. See if you can 'borrow' a prop that's 2" less pitch than what you have now."

"The duo-prop would help out t

"The duo-prop would help out the "bottom end" due to the extra blades.

As Makomark suggests you could achieve that with a standard drive by dropping the pitch a bit and going with an extra blade or 2.

Moving to a lower pitched, cupped, 4 blade prop (or 5 if available) would have a significant impact on your hole shot and would allow the boat to plane quicker and at a lower speed than a stardard 3 blade prop - and would be significantly cheaper than replacing a drive
"

"Sorry, for the late reply,,,I

"Sorry, for the late reply,,,I'll look into a new prop,,,I have a SS 4 blade 17pitch now...I'll get better out of the hole with a 14.5X15p but my top end will suck..."

"Now you know why many boaters

"Now you know why many boaters carry another prop, onboard, along with the tools to change them..."

Back