Logo

1978 chrysler 318 oil pressure sensor

jlandon

"i have a problem with my oil

"i have a problem with my oil pressure sensor as soon as i turn on the key the gauge maxes out. i need to know where the sensor is located cant seem to find it. and yes i unpluged the sender wire from the gauge, it is fine. any info is appreciated thanks."

"Sender is in the front of the

"Sender is in the front of the intake manifold, right next to the t-stat housing.

Jeff"

"Doh! Missed that point. Tim

"Doh! Missed that point. Tim is correct, but note that there are TWO oil pressure sensors: one has (usually) one wire going to it--that's the alarm sender unit (an idiot light switch). The one you're after has two wires going to it.

Jeff"

guys this goes back to my temp post a few mins ago. Im trying to figure out the sending units. There are 2 units on the front, one in the intake mainfols (temp sender i think) another temp on the water pump (dont knwo what it does) and another on the back of the motor for oil with a small hose connectd to it that also dont knwo how is measure oil presure. The last 2 are not connected yet my gages function so i think, its making me guess the reads. so i check the temp and i was correct, its off about 20 degrees on idel and dont knwo if it goes above 140 on the accutal meter. How do i trouble shoot this? are the seconed to that i mentiond for alarms?

The "sensor" (for the gage) is in the front of the intake. The others are all temp "switches" that trigger the alarm when they close. The oil pressure setup is similar: a "sensor" for the gage, and a switch for the alarm.

Jeff

now that brings up a good question to me and that is where the heck is the alarm ? I have a 79 sliverton cabin cruser and i cant find anywhere on the dash that indicates alarm

How bout that learned somethin!

the sender on the water pump is not wanted apparently

the two buzzers are behind the dash inside and under the dash on the flybridge

There you go. Be sure they are hitched up and working or you can cost yourself an engine. Of the four temp switches on my two engines, only ONE was actually working (and it cost me an engine). I replaced them all with new ones after testing them in a pan of boiling water (with a volt meter). I even test NEW ones, just to be sure.

Jeff

should be a zinc coated box with 2 terminals about 2 inches by 3inches maybe

should be placed where you can hear them, they are loud and annoying and I thought about replaceing them with a not so loud buzzer

should be 4 on that boat

so i did some search and found 2 small boxes under both dashes with 2 leeds on them but there connected to the fuel gage??? make any sense? im going to take a pic and upload. the previous owner was a electrician so almost every dam wire has been messed with in some way or another.

Back