Logo

78 Johnson Javlin 85 Hp Tilt trim Cylinders stuck from ill use

thudpucker

Regular Contributor
"My cylinders are stuck. Wont

"My cylinders are stuck. Wont go up or down.
Anybody have a hint as to the correct way to get this stuff all loosend up?
335266.jpg
Motor stuck in upright position

"I'll bet your fluid is co

"I'll bet your fluid is contaminated.....looks like boat is always stored outside. I think the entire trim tilt needs to be drained then refilled/flushed with ATF then if it works without dismantling, drain out ATF then use proper tilt/trim fluid. I would expect it was stored with contaminated fluid and will need dismantle and possibly some kits. Go ahead and try the drain and flush first.....its a good idea anyway. These units get infected usually through the motor seals as the lower motor shaft/bushing wears and wrecks the seal allowing any moisture that has collected in the upper motor housing to enter the reservoir."

"Yes, the boat's been outs

"Yes, the boat's been outside all its life. It hasn't been used since 06.
Would 30wt motor oil be the right stuff? That's what my Mercruiser used."

Try what Cliff said in his pos

Try what Cliff said in his post...You can now lift the motor up and it will go back down by itself..Do you hear the relays clicking when you try to move the motor..?

I just noticed that your setup

I just noticed that your setup had the EXTERNAL tilt and trim system....the old style that was stoped being used in the early seventys...What is the model No. of your motor..?

Whoa up!
Its cold here now.

Whoa up!
Its cold here now. I'll get it out in the Daylight and try some of your magic and get those numbers too.

I've worked on this T/T de

I've worked on this T/T design up to mid 80's. If the fluid gets contaminated the little check balls will stick inside the pump housing. Even if the electric tilt motor runs......nothing will happen. I would not recommend 30W oil unless its hydraulic oil. That viscosity may be a bit heavy for temps below 50 degrees F.

"Timothy: Isn`t the right cyli

"Timothy: Isn`t the right cylinder the tilt cylinder that lifts the motor,,,,and the left one is the trim cylinder on those old units?"

"I finally got the Numbers. Th

"I finally got the Numbers. They are difficult to get to if you cannot move the motor.
85 ETL 76D
J4566859
There are two large cylinders, one on each side, and two smaller cylinder in the center, one on each side.
335358.jpg
rightside pump n' cylinder"">
335359.jpg
left side

"Yes that is right, Jack. The

"Yes that is right, Jack. The small inboard cyls help support the motor weight and act as dampeners. This looks pretty bad as if things have been leaking. I might not be too hopeful for a simple fix. May need overhauling/kits. Nothing is available for the pump itself however. You have to look for used pumps. Housings are available but rarely needed anyway."

Back