Logo

Perkins ht6354 overheating

slug

"hi everyone, i have a 74 will

"hi everyone, i have a 74 williams with a ht6354
that gets hot when i run it at more than 1600 rpm
ive cleaned the raw water strainer, replaced impeller, cleaned out mani cooler pipes, there seems to be enough water comming from exhaust but im not sure.
can anyone tell me where the thermostats are and is there any other things that you know of that could cause this problem, ps it cools down to 80 deg at low rpm
thanks , wayne"

"thanks bob, i do have a manua

"thanks bob, i do have a manual but it is unclear
exactly where they are
please advise
thanks wayne"

"I have a 6354 vanilla style a

"I have a 6354 vanilla style as I look at the front of the engine, the 2 thermostats are behind the plate in the upper left corner. Held on by 7 bolts. Be careful fo the gasket, mine always wants to stick to both surfaces, alternating every inch or so.

It's the 2 thermostats that threw me."

"Slawson, let me know what res

"Slawson, let me know what results you get when you make the thermostat change and to what temp are they set.
[email protected]
I have twin 84 perkins T6.354's that I have running at 200 degrees wot...one cools down faster than the other....taking surface readings for comparison."

"ok thanks guys
by the way im

"ok thanks guys
by the way im in australia and we use celcius, sorry if i threw you out, i ment it gets over 90 deg C
i tried to undo the 7 bolts but as usual 1 is rusted in, i have sprayed it with wd40, i will let it soak for a few days. cheers wayne"

"g day guys
im still trying t

"g day guys
im still trying to get seized bolt out, in the mean time does anyone know how much raw water should come from the exhaust, in other words a flow rate and is there any other things that could cause a blockage other than the strainer and mani cooler that you know of.
any help apreciated thanks, Wayne"

"well, i got the bolt out and

"well, i got the bolt out and guess what- there are
no thermostats in the system. someone has already removed them, i supose it previously had an overheating problem so im back to square one again
i think its related to the salt water flow between the impeller and wherever it goes after that. it must be partialy blocked because im sure there was more water comming from the exhaust previously than there is now. any information is appreciated. thanks Wayne"

"On my NA 63544M, there is an

"On my NA 63544M, there is an oil cooler followed by a trans fluid cooler. There is a 1/2 " space between them that could very easily be clogged with bits of impeller blades. Get the 4 O rings before you put it back together, else you may have salt water in the wrong places. Be very careful on reassembly because you can cramp the flow of water around the exchanger pipes. In fact that may be what is wrong with it, if not the impeller bits."

"As a general rule, look for a

"As a general rule, look for any change of direction (eg. elbows), joins, and anywhere there is a reduction in internal diameter such as nipples etc. Also check flexible hoses on the suction side, as they can collapse on the inside under suction, and cause a restriction even though they look fine outside."

"HOWDY
I FIXED IT, A LUMP OF

"HOWDY
I FIXED IT, A LUMP OF SEAWEED AS BIG AS MY FIST IN THE GEARBOX OIL COOLER. I SHOULD HAVE FOUND IT SOONER. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT"

"thanks Bob, but now tell me w

"thanks Bob, but now tell me why my toilet( lectrasan) stinks and when im under way the bowl fills almost to the top with yuk water.
there appears to be no leaks.
thanks wayne"

Back