Logo

99 Ocean Runner 175 Compression

apollobeach

"Looking at buying '99 Wel

"Looking at buying '99 Wellcraft Sportsman 210, with '99 Ocean Runner 175. Having it checked out now. Mechanic says compression spread is 95-110. Upon first check, the range was 90-110, but after a de-carb, the spread tightened a bit. I see a 10-15psi difference is the threshold, so it's at the limit. All else checks out...no leaks in drive oil, motor runs strong, test spin on the water was fine. Opinions on if I should pass on this?"

"It might depend a bit how the

"It might depend a bit how the 'spread' is located.
Port bank may be almost 5% down compared to stb due to 'design'.
In other word, if stb shows 100 and port bank shows 95, they are the same in reality!
So if stb have a spread 85-100, port may have a spread of 80-95 (roughly!!)
In your situation 90 may be ok if on port, providing the 110 is on stb."

Tks Morten! I just called the

Tks Morten! I just called the mechanic and asked for the breakdown. Numbers changed a bit. Spread is actually 90-105. Mechanic says stb bank (1-3-5) readings: 105-100-97. Port (2-4-6): 100-99-90. How's that look?

"In general it looks rather li

"In general it looks rather like I described above, but #6 I find a bit on the lower side.
Would have pulled the heads and checked.
Only 6 O-rings and some RTV, no gaskets!"

"Wow, that's a bit disconc

"Wow, that's a bit disconcerting. I'm at a decision point now, only down $150. What would they look for in pulling the heads, cylinder scoring or burnt cylinder? Or is it a potential head gasket (if there is one) issue? Or potentially both. Tks in advance. I probably should just pass on this one and move on."

"Lookk for scores in cylinder

"Lookk for scores in cylinder and 'deposits' in the heads. Deposits in heads and piston tops tells the most.
Cyl 6 is closest to the water, and on that rig the most one likely to get a water back flush! Some of the Welcrafts are a bit 'deep' with the stern!"

Tks a bunch. You've been

Tks a bunch. You've been most helpful...I'm gonna pass on this boat at this time/price.
Appreciate your time. Are you really in Malaysia? Wow.
Tks again.
Mike

Back