Logo

Water in the oilpossible causes

allan09

"I have a Ford Lehman 120HP. I

"I have a Ford Lehman 120HP. I have started losing fresh water from the heat exchanger and it is ending up in the oil,milky appearance etc. I am hoping that the most likely cause is a leak through the head gasket. The motor is going well and the performance seems to be unaffected.What other ways can the water get into the oil which may be common to this motor. I am after advice to know the best way to start addressing this problem. thanks Allan"

Allan

Did you solve this problem? We have a 2715E marinised engine (not Lehman) with water in the oil. The head gasket was blown, we replaced the head gasket 3 weeks ago but again have grey oil. We suspect the heat exchanger

Any feedback appreciated

Regards

Guy

Try replacing the gasket between the exhaust elbow and the manifold. Are you using oil ?? If so the engine oil cooler under the injection pump is bad, life expectancy is about 5 years.
Charlie w

Charlie: Does the gasket between the elbow and the manifold or the manifold and the head possibly allow the fresh water antifreeze circuit to contaminate the oil. I have an elbow gasket leaking a bit, and the oil analysis shows glycol in the oil. There is no leak using a coolant system pressure tester, and the head bolts are tight.

Thanks, Gary

Anyone with Lehman 120 manifold experience:
Does the gasket between the elbow and the manifold or the manifold and the head possibly allow the fresh water antifreeze circuit to contaminate the oil. I have an elbow gasket leaking a bit, and the oil analysis shows glycol in the oil. There is no leak using a coolant system pressure tester, and the head bolts are tight.

Thanks, Gary

Hi gary, sorry to take so long. Only three places can leak af into oil. Gasket at front of manifold. Gasket between exh. Elbow and manifold. Head gasket. Pressure test must be done with engine hot, preferably after a run. Hope this helps. Charlie

hi charlie,
is there any possible other cause of water in the oil. i checked all these three things n can't get rid off it.
thanks for your information
waiting for your reply dear

Hi gary, are you sure it's anti freeze ?? Sounds more like a bad oil cooler. It's possible to have a porous block but i only found one that was caught on the test stand. How soon after you change oil is the oil showing water ? Try running up to temp. Pump out oil rite away , remove drain plug and put container under drain overnite. Are the water drops clear or green ?
Charlie

Charlie I like the idea of heating up the oil before draining .. are you suggesting to let it drain entirely overnight? I have just bought an Aftcab cruiser with a 120 Lehman and am about to embark upon changing all filters / oils etc .. cheers

Stuart, unless you have milky oil it is not necessary to drain overnite. Congrats. On the aftcab i,m sure you will have hours of trouble free cruising with regular maintenance.
Charlie w.

Stuart, unless you have milky oil it is not necessary to drain overnite. Congrats. On the aftcab i,m sure you will have hours of trouble free cruising with regular maintenance.
Charlie w.

Cheers & thanks Charlie .. appreciated. Any ideas on where i can find a FL120 (red engine) 2715 manual - owner guide?

Stuart, this site, marineengine.com has them. What is serial # of your engine?? I may have assembled it at the lehman plant in new jersey u.s.a.
Charlie w.

Stuart, this site, marineengine.com has them. What is serial # of your engine?? I may have assembled it at the lehman plant in new jersey u.s.a.
Charlie w.

G'day Charlie .. the engine is a 2715E and the number is D9800/217 .. It is the original engine in a 1987 Hiptimco trawler / cruiser. I bought it of a retired sailor from the Australian Navy who bought it new in 1987 while he was stationed in Hong Kong. It was fully rebuilt in 2001 and now has 500 hours up. The chap that owned it is now in his 70's and retired.Naturally he kept a stringent maintenance routine and it is mechanically sound & the boat well kept ... he did very little by way of upgrade and it is very original. I am upgrading electronics but little else other than cosmetic upgrades for the moment .. new cushions around the dining table - curtains & bedding etc .. I am having a Raymarine E95 installed this week and will be attatching the bells & whistles on it (engine bay camera / diagnostics etc) ..

Thanks for the tip with marineengine .. I now have all the info I need. cheers Charlie .. hope you and yours have a safe & happy easter mate :)

Hi stuart, you're engine was assembled in england and the actual serial # is stamped into the antifreeze expansion tank just behind the fill cap. Starts with letter l or s and 6 digits i,m sure is a dover ford sp135 with chrome air cleaner and heat exchanger on stbd. Side of engine.
Transmission and oil coolers are usually good for 5 years so if they haven,t been changed, i would do so now.
Happy easter,
charlie w.

Hi stuart, you're engine was assembled in england and the actual serial # is stamped into the antifreeze expansion tank just behind the fill cap. Starts with letter l or s and 6 digits i,m sure is a dover ford sp135 with chrome air cleaner and heat exchanger on stbd. Side of engine.
Transmission and oil coolers are usually good for 5 years so if they haven,t been changed, i would do so now.
Happy easter,
charlie w.

Thanks for the tip Charlie .. so the D9800/217 number isnt the engine number? Is it a 2175E? I will post a photo of the engine.

Thanks for the tip Charlie .. so the D9800/217 number isnt the engine number? Is it a 2175E? I will post a photo of the engine.

Charlie I got this info of the identification plate / labeled FORD INDUSTRIAL POWER PRODUCTS.
MODEL 2715E / Capacity 6.22L / FUEL SYS AA / RPM 1258-2500 / H’D - / BLOCK A / DATE/SER No. D 9800 / 217 / BUILD No 11B / 578 / 400 / 100

I dont know if any of this tells you anything .. engine is red ... cheers . Stu

Hey stuart, wow!! Beautiful!! You were right about the maintenance. You do have a 2715e dorset not the sp135 and also the serial # is stamped into a pad on the manifold port side just under where the tube from the rocker cover to the air filter is.
Charlie w.

Ps don't forget to change oil in the injection pump!

Cheers Charlie - thanks for confirming that mate .. I did the sea trial & pulled her out of the water on Thursday .. couple of small blisters but the hull was in remarkably good condition .. doing some minor repairs & antifouling and should have her back in the water in a couple of weeks .. shame i can't post the pics on here .. for some reason it just wont upload

Back