Logo

Short or long shaft

ted_sanders

was looking at my boat with a

was looking at my boat with a friend and he said the prop wasn't down in the water far enough. the boat measures 16" from top to bottom and the motor is a 7.5 evinrude 83 model e8r cta. this is supposed to be a short shaft. will it work? thanks for any info. ted

"It will be OK. A long shaft

"It will be OK. A long shaft would be too long.

From the performance point of view the cavitation plate should be about level with the bottom of the transom but it is important that the water pump is submerged.
It depends upon the type of boat you have and the hull shape. Small sail boat owners usually fit a longshaft engine to put the prop deeper in the water and the sail versions of Evinrudes and Johnsons are specially designed with that in mind

A useful link here http://www.smalloutboards.com/shaft.htm

BTW OMC outboards have "standard" shafts, other makes call them "short" shafts!"

The cavitation plate should be

The cavitation plate should be appprox 3/8" below the hull with a std type prop...the other influencing factor is if the hull has a keel that extends to the rear of the hull if it did the cav plate would be set level with the bottom of the keel

thanks for the info. i should

thanks for the info. i should have told you that it is a 14x4 flatbottom. the previous boat it was on was a 14x2.5 with 12" fron top to bottom. it weights about half as much as the boat the motor is on now. ted

Back