Logo

Propellar question

wynand_n

Some props are V tipped and ot

Some props are V tipped and other U tipped. Which is the better prop or what are the differences in performance?

85 hp Suzuki 2 stroke with t/t

85 hp Suzuki 2 stroke with t/t bolted to 17ft cabin cruiser used for fishing. Runs with a 13 3/4" x 15" pitch V tipped prop that moves it at a brisk pace with a lot power out of the hole.
Boat used on rough water dams mainly and run about 20 km to my favorite fishing spot.
Will a U tipped prop be a better cal or better to stick with my current prop?

well again their is allot of t

well again their is allot of thought on this but in my opinion its will not make enough difference for you for it to be a concern if you have a good prop save your money

the rounded blades are designe

the rounded blades are designed high performance and
hole shot
the cleaver style is for high speeds and stern lift
I hope this helps with the styles

"Agree with Cliff. Your relati

"Agree with Cliff. Your relatively low pitch (15) indicates that the motor is pushing alot of weight relative to it's ability.

Under 99.9% of circumstances, regardless of what the prop companies would try and have you believe, the "average" boat will not make any sigificant performance gains one way or the other by switching props provided that the current prop is matched for pitch/diameter properly to the motor, overall weight of the rig and hull design...."

I have a 1989 Johnson 110hp on

I have a 1989 Johnson 110hp on a 17 ft bass boat. It was formerly used at an elevation of 1200 ft but is now at 4-5000 ft. It has a 13 1/4 X 17 prop but will only turn up 2000RPM. What is the correct fuel jet size for this elevation?

"You will not get any benifit

"You will not get any benifit from a clever prop on your boat, they are designed for racing and run very high out of the water, however you would notice a difference with a stainless replacement prop to suit your boat."

"Thanks for all the replies.

"Thanks for all the replies.

Graham, The 15" pitch is magic on my boat in getting out of the hole fast, pushing the boat along fast (in choppy & windy conditions) at only third throttle (3400 rpm) and very responsive at throttle input and gets to about 5400 rpm flat out.

All this said, I used a few software programs that are used to calculate prop size and pitch and with all the data, gear ratio, rpm, weight of boat, hull shape etc fed into these programs, they all came up within a 1/4 inch of diameter and exact same pitch.
The calculated prop was a 13" x 19" pitch. This was fitted to the boat but what a let down - difficult to plane and had to run the motor well tilt up to get progress and if the prop was submerged, only run about 3000 rpm. I then pitched down to 17", better but not that effective and then down the 15" and my boat goes like a bat out of hell. This prop is a V tip.

I can add this: the altitude Im running my boat is about 1600 meters (5500ft) above sea level and hydroplane stabilizer fins are fitted to the Suzuki 85 hp. The total weigh with two persons aboard is about 900kg or about 2000 lbs."

"If your selecting a pitch for

"If your selecting a pitch for your boat you need to determan your boats WOT wide open throttle and work your pitch from their roughly every 2 degrees is 400 rpm's up or down you do not want to over rev and you don't want o under rev at WOT think of it a tires sizes on your car. as far as the rest of the set up blade designs, polishing blue printing balancing ect. you do not really have a rig where that money spent would be of enough benefit the only sugestion I would have if you were not happy would be try a 4 blade they would help in the hole and help keep you on plane at lower rpm's to suggest a few of the benefits. but it sounds like you are well tuned IMHO I sell parts I can sell you a new prop but its not necessary. have a merry x mass."

Back