Logo

Oil coming out exhaust

"It is normal to have oil come

"It is normal to have oil come out of the exhaust in the center of the prop on a 2 stroke, especially if you idled for a while before shutting it down. It is NOT normal for oil to come out of the gap between the prop and the gearbox; this indicates the failure of one or more seals in the gearcase.

It is a good idea to post the year and hp of the motor when asking a question here."

The oil in your gearcase shoul

The oil in your gearcase should be honey coloured (if its changed regulary) and exhaust residue from unburnt fuel will be black

"Here is a pic of the area tha

"Here is a pic of the area that the oil is coming out from it is a 1992 48 SPL Johnson 2 stroke thanks for the posts. This boat last ran in 2004 so is there a chance of build up. The color of oil was gray pls/adv
335137.jpg
"

"Almost certainly partly burnt

"Almost certainly partly burnt oil from the fuel.

Any doubts check the gear oil after it has run for a while.. you'll check or change it before you run it anyway won't you.

Read THIS and THIS"

Unburnt fuel washing carbon fr

Unburnt fuel washing carbon from the exhaust tube to be sure undo the drain bung and check the colour of the gearcase oil.

"It is normal to have oil come

"It is normal to have oil come out of the exhaust in the center of the prop on a 2 stroke, especially if you idled for a while before shutting it down. It is NOT normal for oil to come out of the gap between the prop and the gearbox; this indicates the failure of one or more seals in the gearcase.

It is a good idea to post the year and hp of the motor when asking a question here."
My engine overheated due to a ware pump failure. I have a 25hp etec. When U removed the lower unit I noticed milky oil and water in the exhaust housing. What would cause this. Should I be concerned.

Back