Logo

1956 Johnson Javelin 30HP

tac1120

I recently aquired a Johnson J

I recently aquired a Johnson Javelin from my Papaw I know nothing about this engine but it runs goes in forward and reverse but im having problems when its in forward or reverse when im starting to rev up it the whole motor jumps it intermittenly while its running could it be bad oil in the lower unit i know the lower unit is leaking oil im going to change that and see what happens but also i noticed the carb has a glass bowl with some type of filter in there the filter is very dark i did clean it but it still needs changeing i think if someone could give input it would be great! Im not sure where to get parts for this motor if someone knows this that would also be a big help!

Not a problem with the glass b

Not a problem with the glass bowl. The bowl houses the filter which maybe a darker red/brown color. There you would be looking for lots of sediment in the bottom of the bowl. The real problem here is the gears and shift dog in the lower unit. The lower unit needs to be torn down to check for damage to the mating surfaces of the gears and dog. Bad news is that the gear set is hard to come by unless you want to spend lots of money for new. Good news is that this set was used on many OMC motors from the mid 50's to mid 60's but it is still hard to come up with a used usable set. Personally I went through 7 lower units before I found a good set. The folks over on aomci.org can provide more information for you. Likely someone over there could provide a parts diagram for you.

Back