Logo

1970bs Johnson 50hp Outboard will not fire could it be throttle kill switch

noliver

"I have a 1970's Johnson o

"I have a 1970's Johnson outboard 50 hp Seahorse. The motor usually runs great and will start the first or second time, but will randomly turn over and over and over and will not hit. I spent about $400 and had it tuned up and one of the cylinders was not working so they also repaired it. After the repair, it started up and ran much better but started again randomly not wanting to fire. I checked the plugs and they are sparking. One time it will start right up and then the next it will crank and crank but not hit. Could this be something to do with the kill switch associated with the throttle? If the throttle is not in the verticle position it will not allow the motor to start. Could the switch that controls triggers the verticle position be bad?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can look at or replace? I really don't want to spend another $400 to fix anything I can fix myself. I am pretty good about repairing things myslef and think I could do it with some help on where to begin looking for the problem.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Nathan"

"You need spark, compression a

"You need spark, compression and fuel check those out first then if alls well they need to happen at the right time"

Back