Logo

How to remove stringer engine without removing drive

chiefalen

Banned
"So you want to remove a omc s

"So you want to remove a omc stringer engine without removing the drive?

Your in luck cause stringer drives don't have to be removed, if you have 4-5 inch's in front of the motor.

This is how to do it. The drive should be supported,in some manner. What i do is i place a piece of flat wood under the skeg, and crank the trailer bow up till the skeg is 1-3 above the wood.

I then remove all wires, cables,and such that will allow the motor itself to be removed and leaving the, " bell housing / adapter housing " in place.

Remove the flywheel cover, 5-6 screws. Remove 5-6 screws / bolts that hold the bell housing / adapter, to the engine.

Hook up your chain hoist, and lift motor 1-2 inch's and slide forward till the drive shaft slips out of the coupler, and then lift straight up.. You may have to remove elbows and such depending on access.

What will happen is when the engine is lifted the drive will lower till it contacts the wood and is supported.

Thats all there is to it."

"If I were doing that, I'd

"If I were doing that, I'd REMOVE the "leg" first. This puts ZERO stress on the Transom.I've removed my leg once, and it was really easy. I carried it by myself into the garage."

"If all you wanted to do is re

"If all you wanted to do is remove the engine without removing the " leg ".

There is zero stress on the transom because the drive is on the intermediate which is bolted to the engine via the bell housing / adapter. Actually that is what the bell housing is called in the manual a adapter housing.

The whole thing is bolted to the stringers.Hence the nickname " Stringer "

To make a long story short, THERE IS ZERO STRESS ON THE TRANSOM.

If one has a electric shift drive then it would be a simple matter to remove the drive, however cable shift is another story."

"Well, when you remove the eng

"Well, when you remove the engine, it leaves the "leg" hanging on the Transom attached to the Intermediate.You can block up the leg, yes.
My Intermediate is NOT connected to any stringers. it is attached to the Transom, hence the point I was making.
When I removed the leg from my Boat, it only took about 10 minutes. The hardest part was getting the wire out through the Transom, while supporting the leg.I got another person to guide out the wire while I held the leg.I guess the leg weighs about 200 pounds."

"I have a way for a cable shif

"I have a way for a cable shift stringer " Leg "to be removed, for say pulling the drive shaft, without removing the cable.

Crank the trailer bow up with the drive fully down, and with a piece of flat wood under the skeg, till the skeg just touchs the wood.

Pull the rubber bumpers, pull the 2 caps off the swivel. Now with one person cranking the the bow up another inch or two and the other person holding the drive. The drive will just lift off the cradle.

Spin pull the drive left 3-6 inch's careful do not pull on the cable the drive will move enough for you to pull the drive shaft.

Do not mix up the bumpers, they must be reinstalled as they were removed. The caps must be reinstalled as they were removed you can mark them very important. The bushings go with the slit facing forward.

Tie up the drive to the boat or trailer do what you have to and replace without ever having to pull the mechanical cable thru the intermediate.

No need to deal with the mess inside the boat removing the cable.

Again the transom gets zero stress."

"I have a way for a cable shif

"I have a way for a cable shift stringer " Leg "to be removed, for say pulling the drive shaft, without removing the cable.

Crank the trailer bow up with the drive fully down, and with a piece of flat wood under the skeg, till the skeg just touchs the wood.

Pull the rubber bumpers, pull the 2 caps off the swivel. Now with one person cranking the the bow up another inch or two and the other person holding the drive. The drive will just lift off the cradle.

Spin pull the drive left 3-6 inch's careful do not pull on the cable the drive will move enough for you to pull the drive shaft.

Do not mix up the bumpers, they must be reinstalled as they were removed. The caps must be reinstalled as they were removed you can mark them very important. The bushings go with the slit facing the rear of the boat.

Tie up the drive to the boat or trailer do what you have to and replace without ever having to pull the mechanical cable thru the intermediate.

No need to deal with the mess inside the boat removing the cable.

Again the transom gets zero stress."

Back