Logo

Evinrude 20hp year

hilly

"Hi, I have a 20hp. evinrude,

"Hi, I have a 20hp. evinrude, I have done a forum search and got some great info, but I am trying to find the year of the outboard. Nada shows 20hp between 85 - 95. Model # on bracket damaged, serial # o.k. (G03554206).
I am including some photos in the hope that someone can identify the engine year and supply me with the compression numbers.
Thank you.
335015.jpg
No's. on engine."">

335016.jpg
gear lever kill switch"">

335017.jpg
cowling

"The number should also be sta

"The number should also be stamped on a core plug, a slightly domed silvery disc about 3/4" diameter, somewhere on the cylinder block.

I dont think compression figures are published. What do you get

READ THIS"

"Hi Vic, thanks for the quick

"Hi Vic, thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't able to find the core plug, I read about it in the search I did, any idea what it could be behind?
The compression is 90p.s.i. in both cyl's, I would hate to be pull starting anything much higher, the motor starts and runs / revs in neutral o.k. only running it in a tub in the garage, and goes into either gear o.k. just dont want too rev it out in gear, while in tub."

If you can find the model code

If you can find the model code I can tell you the year no prob the model code looks like this V E 70 T L ED A might be in side the caling

"No, on my engine it's beh

"No, on my engine it's behind the HT coils but just visible.

The design of the tiller and position of the stop switch I think makes it 1991 or later.

Compression sounds fine. Both cyls being the same most importantly.

Got a good water flow from the telltale?
Checked the gearcase oil? ... no signs of water ingress?

Another item worth reading esp if you dont know much about its history HERE"

"Vic and Joe, thanks for your

"Vic and Joe, thanks for your help.
I located a welch plug just behind the H.T. coils, but no numbers near it, it is about 3/4" dia. The engine appears to have been repainted, and I found a number stamped in the block as per photo. As thse #'s dont match Joe's description, I will be happy to go with the '91 or later call.
The engine has great cooling water flow, and the gearcase oil is clean. This engine is in Australia, in case the position of the eng. # may differ.
335057.jpg
eng. number

"The external power pack came

"The external power pack came back in 93, so that might be the 'oldest' possibility and 98 was last year the 20 was in production."

All johnson should have that c

All johnson should have that code where is moslty letters It will tell me all the info of the boat.

"There are multiple reasons fo

"There are multiple reasons for the plug to be gone.
If a replacement (factory) powerhead/cyl, it will state a part number starting with R.
If 'gray' market engine, most likely just removed.
If a 'built together' from multiple engines, probably even removed.
In general no big deal, not much happened to those engines (power heads)during the last 20 years they were in production!
The most important was the power pack, with the dreaded 'UFI' (under fly wheel) that was in production some years.
Then the long tiller arm with throttle cable, cable corroded and seized. Unfortunately the shorter not much better.
In the fuel system it was the fuel pump and carb that was 'modified'."

Back