Logo

Primer solinoid

pops86

Contributing Member
"My question is, "can a le

"My question is, "can a leaky primer solinoid affect idle speed and smoothness ?"
If I understand how this little gizmo works--enriches the mixture when the key is pushed in, or the override handle is turned up, and the fuel pump pushes fuel into the intake.
I have had a concerns about my 200 looper not idling as smoothly as I thought it should when throttling back to idle speed, which I posted about awhile back. The response was the carbs were cycling back down through the high and mid jets.
I recently bought the parts and rebuilt my solinoid. The only thing I saw in the old parts that looked bad was the o ring on the end of the override handle, it had a flat side where it contacted the bore all the way around it, and had a hard piece of trash bonded on one area.
I have only ran the engine once since the repair. and it seemed to idle better, slower some I think and smoother when throttling down.
Any thoughts by the more knowledgeble if the o ring could allow fuel to push through the solinoid
into the engine and cause idle problems or am I wrong?? Thanks!"

"too answer ur question,..a le

"too answer ur question,..a leaky primer solenoid can ,and will cause idle prob's....disc one primer hose,fire it up,and see if fuel comes out...if so,..u have found ur prob....
when was last time a full,..tune-up was done....not 6 plugs....................have u had the oiling system cked by a marine tech???...or attempted it with good instr or/an a service manual....."

"Thanks for the comments.
T

"Thanks for the comments.
To answer your question concerning a "full tune up," I have to say no, and do not fully comprehend what is meant. I have changed plugs, wires, checked all the coils with an ohmmeter, cleaned all the bullet connectors. I have run sea foam several times, but have not decarbed as described in the manual.
Have not checked the oiling system (VRO), or had a professional mechanic do it. Basiscally what is that consist of? Thanks"

make sure the red lever is in

make sure the red lever is in the right position mine has to be fully clock wise to be in normal running position otherwise its on choke all the time but mine is a 40 hp 1986 evinrude yours might be different

Back