Logo

Erratic tach overcharging

martino1

Regular Contributor
"This is it. Next time, this

"This is it. Next time, this motor goes on the bottom of the ocean. 1990 SeaDrive (225 Johnnyrude) Tachometer on starboard engine became erratic. Would read double, normal, double, etc. Then I noticed that the charge was wide open. Voltmeter was reading in excess of 16 volts. Confirmed it with DVM. Too cheap to buy a new rectifier/regulator, went with a used one. Everything back to normal. For two days. Now I notice that the tach is bounding around again, reading double, etc. For the moment, the charge is still at 14.5. My question is, is there anything on the motor that can ruin the rectifier-regulator assembly, or is my problem caused by being cheap and using used parts?"

Martin....did you just put a n

Martin....did you just put a new battery on that engine?if so what kind?whats the amh?is it a sealed battery?gel battery?you mention 'starboard'.i assume 2 engines...if both engines have their own battery then i would swap them.Carl

"Battery is your basic West Ma

"Battery is your basic West Marine "I'm on sale for $50." (Which I have had the best luck with, I might add) Can the stator be shorted and cause this problem, but the engine otherwise run fine?"

Back