Logo

Prop for b77 merc 110 98

plane

"Just bought a this motor that

"Just bought a this motor that came with a somewhat beat 3-blade prop that's a Michigan PM20. I have no idea what pitch or diameter it is but it looks pretty shallow, and the motor was used as a kicker/trolling rig on a large boat. I'm downsizing it onto a 14' aluminum utility boat. I was told by the seller that a nearby dealer had a "new" Merc prop that would fit, but it's a two blade. Any source to decode the Michigan prop's true numbers, or recommendations for a source of an appropriate prop? thnx"

Thanks for the source...though

Thanks for the source...though their price makes the 2-blade Merc prop for $25 sound like a deal.

"Any idea what the proper pitc

"Any idea what the proper pitch would be for use on a light aluminum 14-foot fishing boat? Seems like the pitch on other 9.8 Merc's I've seen photos of is higher than than what's currently on it. Or, if they came with a standard prop, what was it? Thanks."

"Pete, the 7.5/9.8's typic

"Pete, the 7.5/9.8's typically run an 8 or 9 pitch prop - the 9 pitch would have been the "OEM" standard.

The pre-86 small outboards were factory equipped with a 2 blade prop. A 3 blade prop of the same pitch/diameter will actually make the rig a little slower than if you maintained the 2 blade version, although, engine vibration is significantly reduced using a prop with more blades.

Since we are talking about a 10 horse motor (whether it's tagged 9.8 or 9.9 horse), you would not notice any real performance difference between an 8 or 9 pitch in either 2, 3 or 4 blade cofiguration in terms of speed although the 4 blade will keep the bow down at lower speeds than either the 2 or 3 blade and as stated above, more blades will cut engine vibration..."

"Help again, Graham, please. I

"Help again, Graham, please. I got a 9x9 prop off of ebay that didn't fit. It was a Michigan wheel product that fits the shaft, but the prop hub is larger than the engine's lower unit. Apparently for later models of Merc's. Do you have a source that gives Mercury part numbers for the OE prop?"

Back