Logo

OLD 6hp Pull Cord

mikebenghp

"Hellp, this is my first posti

"Hellp, this is my first posting as well as my first dealings with small/older outboard motors. A hunting boat recently fell in to my lap so to speak and it has an old johnson 6hp motor on it. Its pretty neat, has the old cable and pulley steering. Not that I intend to use that part since the shift cables are bad. Anyway, to the POINT- the pull cord was not in any way attached to the motor but was lying under a seat. I have no idea where to attach it or its path through the maze. Does anyone have any guidance to lend?"

What is the model number? Shou

What is the model number? Should be on a plate on the transom bracket and stamped on a core plug on the engine block somewhere.

Several types of starter mechanism are possible depending on age.

One type sits on the top over the flywheel. another has a vertical drum with a Bendix type gear on the top which engages with the ring gear on the flywheel just as a starter motor does.
yet another fits on one side of the engine and also has a gear that engages with the ring gear on the flywheel.

You may well be best advised to obtain a repair manual which should explain the re-stringing of the starter.

"Model # CD-24D
Serial# J2787

"Model # CD-24D
Serial# J2787064

Did some searching, found out its a 1967 model. I have the 1962-197? johnson service manual. However, like most older how-to manuals, it doesnt appear to have been written with the recreational user in mind. After having read the manual it seems I must first unplug and ground the plug wires. Then it says to "disconnect the ground connection at the terminal screw? Does this mean disconnect the negative terminal of the battery?"

"Also, is the part I connect t

"Also, is the part I connect the pull cord to supposed to be under spring tension? It appears to spin freely in either direction as long as the pinion isnt engaged.I read somewhere that you have to wind the spring? My manual doesnt say anything about that."

after reading and rereading th

after reading and rereading the very brief instructions from the manual again for the past twenty minutes Ive realized why they arent making sense to me. They are written under the assumption that the old rope is still attached to the starter pulley which it is not in mine.

"I cannot acces any info for a

"I cannot acces any info for a 67 model but assuming its the same as a 68 model it looks like the diagram HERE

To all intents and purposes that the same as mine. I have not had to replace the cord but looked at it carefully to see what would be involved.

Yes you do have to wind the spring up(counterclockwise). Enough so that the cord is fully retracted but not so much that it is over tensioned when the cord is fully pulled. I assumed the manual would have told you how many turns that would be. If not then a bit of trial and error called for.
If you cannot tension the spring then I guess it is probably broken!

When installed the cord does not quite occupy the whole spool ... all but the bottom 1½ turns. Obvious where the end is fixed at the top I think

The reason for disconnecting the plug wires is so that it does not start while you are working on it and they are grounded I guess so that you don't get a shock from them. I'd think you are right about the negative terminal. Just avoids any risk of shorting the battery I reckon. But If you dont have a battery connected anyway ..... no bother.

BTW now might be a good time to think about a carb clean because I think you have to remove the starter in order to get at one of the carb mounting bolts."

Back