Logo

EVINRUDE VE120TLEND

"HI Guys.
Thanks for all the

"HI Guys.
Thanks for all the good information I have found on this site.

I have got my motor back on the boat.
Before I hooked up the throttle linlage
I checked out the WOT Timeing by the Reeves method.
I would like to run this past you to see if I have got it right.
I set the timing advance to the WOT stop, ground the white/black wire to the powerpack.
Plugs out and grounded. I jumps the starter solenoid.

Found it to be 24BTC, my book said 17-19BTC
is this Right?
I have set it to 14BTDC as per the Reeves method.
I reset all the adjustment screws as they were all out of place.
Adjusted the idle timing stop then checked the idle timing set to 4BTDC.

Refitted the gearshift and throttle linkage.
Setting thottle to get both idle and wot.

Tomorrow I will get it in a 40 gal tank
and run it till hot.
I will check to see if all works as it should.
Then let it go cold and retorque the heads.
On Sunday IF all ok, I hope to get it in the lake and run it around slowly to let it bed in for a hour or two."

"That's the the correct Re

"That's the the correct Reeves method the way I understand it. I have another post going, I couldn't get my timing light to work at cranking speed. What type are you using?"

"I re-read your post. The onl

"I re-read your post. The only potential issue I saw was the disabling of the QuickStart. The factory manual says to disconnect the white/black wire, I don't see anything about grounding it. I'm wondering if grounding it actually activates it?"

"Quick start is activated by a

"Quick start is activated by a pulse from the yellow/red (to power-pack) at the starter relay, and de-activated when the black/white gets grounded at about 32C.
Note that even the yellow/red has to be disconnected, or the quick start may hang on for some seconds even after a 'warm' start."

"It does appear quickstart was

"It does appear quickstart was active. Quickstart advances the timing 6-8 degrees. It's active for 5 seconds even on a warm start, or till the temp switch closes on a cold start. 6 degrees would put you at the 24 you initially saw. The quickstart will drop out above 1200 rpms to prevent over advancing the timing.

Looks like Morten's got the procedure for you right above!"

To answer Martin Johnson

T

To answer Martin Johnson

The timing light I got it at the local Auto store.
I have had it about 5 years.
An Actron 111 CP7519

"Up date I got it running in t

"Up date I got it running in the tank today.
Looks and sounds good.

Both head temp guages showed 135F, till the water in the tank got hot, ran it up to 150F.
Then let it go cold.
RETorque the head bolts.
Will recheck timing tomorrow"

"You may have to check the tim

"You may have to check the timing light specs. It need to go down to at least 12KV if using when cranking. Some lights has a High/Low switch, and those must be set at LOW.
A 'naughty' trick may be to put in a NGK 'R' plug just when cranking/testing, but not for running. They may peak up the voltage enough to make the timing light react."

"Thanks for the info Jack. We

"Thanks for the info Jack. Went on line generally, apparently I am not the only one who has a good older timing light that won't work at low RPM. Apparently, some of the newer ones even have a setting for 2 cycle or 4 cycle. No idea if my problem is the low RPM or not having a switch that tells the light it is 2 cycle? Good luck with yours. Anyone have any experience with these new self-powered lights, that are advertised for outboard repairs?"

"OK guy I have a good one for

"OK guy I have a good one for you.

I rechecked the Timing at crank speed,
Both idle and wot got 4 btdc and 14btdc.
I have the spark plugs grounded
and quick start grounded.

I put the plugs back in and ran it at idle.
left the quickstart grounded just to check

I started the motor it starts easy with just a little choke ran at 1000 rpm not 1200rpm with quickstart.

Then checked idle timing It shows 4 after top dead center.

I stoped the and remove plugs set up old set of grounded plugs but opened the gap up to max.

Tested idle and wot timing at crank speed,
Showed 4btdc and 14btdc spot on.

Got any clue as what is going on I was thinking
it may need the 7/16 gap on the spark tester.
to set crank speed timing.

The engine runs ok just a little smoky as I have 25 to 1 gas oil mix, plugs are still white but oily I will cut back on oil after 5 or 6 galls of gas.
I have just had the motor in my test tank I have not had it under power .

Well back to work tomorrow, I will have to wait till next weekend to play with it some more."

"Didn't Mr. Reeves state u

"Didn't Mr. Reeves state using the idle timing method moves the timing by 4 degrees? Also, if you accidentally let it go into faststart, that advances is another 4 or 5. Wonder if that is what you are seeing."

"Yes I did see that but if you

"Yes I did see that but if you add 4 degrees then I should see 8btdc not 4 after.
I also check to see if the quick start was disabled by starting it with it grounded, it was.
It running just fine I am putting it in the water and running it under power to see how it goes friday.
It running at 130/135F on both heads instead of 175F on the right head and 160F on the left.
I have my timing light I thought I maybe able to
leave the boat tie on the trailer and check it in gear if the boat docks is quiet.
It is at 4 am. The light works better then too.
I really don't want to run it up to 5000RPM Till
I have got some hours on it that low RPM.
I'll keep you posted .."

Back