Logo

3208 power loss

tonylr35

"I overheated my 3208 I think

"I overheated my 3208 I think because I had a blown head gasket. Had the heads rebuilt and reasembled. Lots of work (by the way). Cooling system was gone through too. Changed nothing else but now I cannot get the last 500rpm out of the engine. It stops at 2200rpm with load, 2800 no load. Has good fuel press, oil press, runs at good temp. clean fuel filter, no air in lines. Starts like the other one (have twins) Any ideas?"

"Tony,
From my experience...

"Tony,
From my experience...19 yrs....
Those engines should be about 3000 rpm n/L
w.o.t. rpm is 2800.(in gear)
With out smoke.... low rpms will look like ...
prop not correct, govenor setting needs "tweeking" most likly.
plse reply"

I considered the governor too.

I considered the governor too. I am compairing the two engines. Both will go to 2800 no load. The one I didn't touch goes to 2800 in gear the other to 2200 since the rebuild. It originally ran to 2800rpm. Did not touch the injector pump during the head rebuild. Did have the fuel filter assembly off. painted everything too. had the turbo off but didn't do anything to it and obviously had the exhaust off. Wires loose and heat exchanger off. Changed the rear main seal so I also had the tranny off. I figure I had to miss something simple but can't figure what. Is there maybe a sensor I could have painted shut?

"Ok,
from the start...Im figu

"Ok,
from the start...Im figuring ALL the fuel filters are clean...AND (very impertant) the prop has'nt been ...damaged, or fouled with barnickles ect.
The valve adjustment is very important as well as turbo boost. if both of the are correct and u have no fuel leaks, you need to look at the injection pump. The fuel soleniod and stop solenoid (if appointed) need to be checked. The adjustment for the govenor is not that complex but if you have no info. or experience with these call ur local cat. dealer, it should'nt be that much.
Where (state) are you located?
i may have some cat. info. if you attempt this your self."

"I live on lake Lanier in Geor

"I live on lake Lanier in Georgia so no barnicles. The engine ran just fine the day I overheated it. I had actually been running it a full throttle. I'm assuming the governor is correct because it only allows 2800rpm no load. I have Cat books to do all of the adjustments if necessary. I rechecked the valve adjustment twice. Now, I don't know of a way to adjust the turbo boost on this engine. That could be the problem! I did check the fuel solenoid. It was fine. Thanks very much so far for your interest"

"Tony,
2800 n/l is no enough,

"Tony,
2800 n/l is no enough, 3000-3100 n/l is rite. 2800 f/l w.o.t.
if lake Lanier is anywhere near brunwick, Ill be able to help, I have a project there in about 7 days.
Anyway....F/l w.o.t. will be about 8/10% less than w.o.t. N/L on marine diesels....all of them.
As far as turbo boost goes, if you have a waste gate engine, yes you can ajust. If not either turbo needs work or.... intake leaks, not enough air getting introduced for whatever reason, check it out.
Also a check for turbo, put a boost gauge on intake or somewhere AFTER turbo boost is made and compare to other engine. But.. understand lower r.p.m.s = lower boost pressures. You should hear turbo wind up (hi whistling sound)"

"The two turbos actually sound

"The two turbos actually sound the same and take the same amount of time to wind down after shut down. I will check for intake leaks. No, it is not a waste gate engine so no adjustment. Is it possible that the injectors could be causing this. I did loosen each one at idle to check for change. Each one was OK.. It just seems like it stops getting additional fuel at 2200. It seems like it "black smokes" a little less that the other engine when I push the throttles up. Since all of that (injector pump) was untouched during the rebuilt I don't see how a meer valve job could affect that. Is there a way to check compression? Lanier is in Atlanta so, no, not near Brunswick."

"Ahh!
Less black smoke means

"Ahh!
Less black smoke means less fuel! the key!
Check for full throttle operation...from helm.
If it indeed goes all the way to w.o.t. stop from the helm,you will have to adj. the gov. a bit.

yes a compression check can be done, with a pencil gauge that goes in where the injector goes. Normally if its low on comp. u'll see more black sutt(engines working harder).
You should see a deal of black smoke when first throttling up (mechanical engine)untill the boat is on plan or turbo boost chatches up with fuel delivery."

Back