Logo

Crusader white smoke

dominique

"My Rh Crusader 454 engine sho

"My Rh Crusader 454 engine shows some white smoke on the exhaust when running at high RPM, the engine is not overheating, has no difficulty in starting, runs smooth and do not show signs of lost of power, it has been repaired last year due to a stuck valve on the port cylinder bank. Do you have any idea where the problem may come from? what are the preliminary check to be done? Many thanks to all of U. Last but not least, does anyone know if there are any differences between the 454 Thermo Electron and the 454?"

"If it is really 'white sm

"If it is really 'white smoke', that's an indication of coolant being burnt, especially on a FWC'ed engine. A pressure test on the cooling system would be a good start on that path. Typically, "white smoke" is rather thick (opaque) where the steam is more "transparent."

It could also be more condensation, due to cooler temperatures (northern hemisphere). You didn't say, but I'd expect you noticed it as there is more "smoke" from the RH engine than the LH one. There really shouldn't be any significant difference between the two. I'd suspect a restriction in the cooling water flow. This is were the IR Temp Gun would be the instrument of choice. Causes here could be raw water pump needs service, oil cooler restriction, or the exhaust elbows are starting to clog.

On the last question; its a bit vague but I'll take a stab. In the last century, Thermo-Electron was the corporate owner of the Crusader Brand name. They bought GM 454's, and others, and marinized them. The basic block back then were standard 4-bolt main versions. So, the short answer is no significant changes were done by Crusader."

"Many thanks, that s what I wi

"Many thanks, that s what I will do first but nothing looks alarming as of now. By the way just a last question, what would you recommand to swap the original ignition system (1988) to a new electronic conversion kit? have a good WE."

"Bonjour Dominique.....

You

"Bonjour Dominique.....

Your "profile" on this forum shows you with Crusader 350's. Did you change boats, or change engines...?...just curious.
snow.gif
(Canada)"

"Bonjour Bob from the rainy Fr

"Bonjour Bob from the rainy French Riviera (it happens also!!!). should be cold in Canada, I remember some freezing stops in Goosebay for refueling prior flying to Greenland and Iceland)
Still with my old good Riva STP with both Crusader 454 350 hp engine, might have wrongly filed the profile when I logged in."

"Pertronix seems to be the bre

"Pertronix seems to be the breakerless upgrade of choice by many though I'm sure others are available. If you want to swap the whole system, many more options are available with added cost; I think the "points replacement kits" are adequate."

"Oke Doke.... I see that you e

"Oke Doke.... I see that you entered your Horse Power instead of your CID...mystery solved.

Goose Bay, Kef and Greenland..yes most of the time cold !! Here is a piece of trivia that most folks don't know.

The runway at the USAF base at Thule Greenland is painted WHITE. The runway was painted white so that the ashphalt did not absorb the heat from the sun, melt the permafrost underneath with the unwanted result of the runway sinking. It took a couple of "sunken" runways until someone came up with that idea...

Enjoy the Riviera...must be good boating weather there...."

"Hi Bob Interesting, simple so

"Hi Bob Interesting, simple solution are always the best one! Most of the time I have experienced landing on oversnowed runways in this area. I now understand why it was always white...
Back to my engines, thanks Makomark for the info I will also check with Marineengine.com parts what would suite!"

Back