Logo

1989 johnson 120 runs 2500rpm at full throttle

dstay25

I have rebuilt the carbs. When

I have rebuilt the carbs. When I took it out it ran great for about 10 min. then it died. After restarting it would not get above 2500 rpms. The tell tale has a great stream. I am replacing the impeller and would like to know the purpose of the impeller housing grommet. Mine has small cracks but none go top to bottom. Do I need a new one? Also Where is the best place to hook up a pressure gauge to get the best reading.

Maybe the engine went into slo

Maybe the engine went into slow mode due to overheating? Does it run OK after it cools off?

I put muffs on it when I got h

I put muffs on it when I got home. After I installed the temp gauge I ran it up to 2000 rpms and the temp got up to 160 on the drivers side head. I have checked both therms and they are opening and closing ok. I am putting in a pressure gauge tomorrow. Can you tell me where is the best place to put the T connector to get max pressure. Also I mentioned about the impeller housing grommet. What purpose does it serve and does it have to be replaced if it has minor cracks in it at the top. None all the way through. None of my local dealers have it in stock.

"I believe SOP is to put a &#3

"I believe SOP is to put a "T" in the line to the tell-tale fitting, for the pressure gauge. I believe the purpose of the WP housing grommet is to seal the watertube, as it enters the top of the pump housing. That is normally supplied with a pump kit, may be the reason you are finding it hard to locate. Does your overheat alarm work? If you ground the sensor on each head, does the buzzer go off? How are you measuring the temperatures?"

The overheat alarm works. I ha

The overheat alarm works. I have an OMC temp gauge that is mounted on the head. The seal I am talking about seals around the drive shaft on top of the housing. The one you mentioned is in great shape. I have back flushed from the tell tale and clear water came out of the water tube.

Just put in new impeller and p

Just put in new impeller and pressure gauge. Ran it on muffs for about 10 min. At 2000rpm the temp stayed between 16o and 175. The pressure was around 10 psi.

I took it out today. The water

I took it out today. The water pressure at idle was 5 psi at idle at 5500 around 20psi. At idle the temp was no higher than 170 but when i got it up on plane the temp would drop to 100 which is as low as the temp gauge goes. When I got back to slow speed or idle the temp would go back up. I have it hooked up to the power connection on the back of the rpm gauge. The motor ran good for a while then it started to spit and miss a little. I slowed down to a slow idle and it quit. Like the key turned off. As I tried to restart it would spit and sputter and then all it would do is turn over. I trolled back to the dock. I finally got it to restart ran it at fast idle and it just quit again. Got it to restart again put it on the trailer put it in gear ran it up to 3500 and it did not miss at all. I think the overheat is not an issue now.

Back