Logo

Primer Solenoid woes

alwayswrknonit2

"I have a 1988 Johnson 120 Loo

"I have a 1988 Johnson 120 Looper. The primer solenoid isnt working. I tried using the manual override but its just not working out right. Could someone tell me the proper procedure for cold starting and warm? And which way the red valve should be facing? Up or Down. Also, if starting manually, can this be done as a permanent fix or should it be replaced right away? Thanks"

"its all,in ur key switch...tu

"its all,in ur key switch...turn key on,push in AND HOLD while cranking,..this is of course,AFTER u have filled the carbs via the primer bulb,once it starts,feather,or push chk in and out sev times till it runs smoothly,on its own,...oh,..adv the throttle slightly,keep it around 8-900 rpm for a cpl mins."

"oh,...the lil lever,..on prim

"oh,...the lil lever,..on primer,is turned all the way,when u have to rope start,..or feel u have an elec failure of the sw or solenoid...its normal position,is pointing to the rear or down,on solenoid."

"The primer solenoid is bad. i

"The primer solenoid is bad. it doesnt work. The little red valve is the override. I am told that if you turn it up, it releases the fuel flow for cold starting. My question is "In using the manual override valve, should the solenoid not work, what is the procedure to get the motor started?" Obviously, if I push the key in while cranking, and the solenoid is bad, its still not going to start."

"Yes. When pushing in the key,

"Yes. When pushing in the key, you can feel the solenoid thumping. Sometimes it clicks like it should. But for the most part, it just thumps and it gets hot."

Test it with a separate 12Volt

Test it with a separate 12Volt from battery.
You may have a voltage drop in the circuit.

"highly,doubtful...it sounds a

"highly,doubtful...it sounds as if its wking as it should....it is set up as a momentary ,..system....pull the lines off,have someone hit the key,sqeeze the primer bulb,...does fuel flow.?"

ive got an 86 evinrude the red

ive got an 86 evinrude the red lever has to be in fully clockwise position. and if you want to manualy choke it you turn it anticlockwise it must be in the clockwise position for normal operation and in this position it only chokes and lets fuel in when the key is depresed

are you turning the engine ove

are you turning the engine over while you press the key in?is the normal click when you first start to fool with it or after it has got hot?please do as jb advises and pull the line off and see if you have flow...i am not sure the primer is even your problem at this point...respectfully...Carl

Back