Logo

1985 GREW 205 BOWRIDER

"2 years is not so bad for bei

"2 years is not so bad for being laid up. So to start as stated in previous posts put the drive down, and every time you park the boat put the drive down.

My boat was parked for 8 years and the drive was up.

So here is what i would do before i even try to start it.

Check the oil in the motor, dirty? Water in the oil? Over filled? No to all of the above?

Remove the carb cover, remove the hose going to the fuel pump, and plug the hose coming from the gas tank.

Run a hose from the fuel pump to a external tank of fresh gas. You do not want the gas in the onboard tank running thru the carb.

Me i would check the drive oils, to make sure there is oil in the drives. And drain the drives and fill with fresh oil after i start the motor.

Connect a garden hose with ear muffs to the drive fully down " With a stringer you never ever start her in the water or on the trailer without the drive fully down"

When ever you start the motor make sure there is water going to the drive.

Dribble some gas in the carb and fire her up. Starts? Runs good?

Drain the drives, there is actually 4 counting the tilt clutch housing. The clutch housing is the square, on the port side that has the gear, that moves the half moon gear. Reason i posted to drain the clutch housing is there is usually water in it.

Here is a post about the clutch housing i posted way back.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12488/292764.shtml

Starting at the very bottom of the drive in a drain screw, starboard side, above it about 8-10" is the vent screw, for the lower. Pull the very bottom one should have a magnet on it. Set aside and pull the vent. The lower will drain.

The upper unit has the drip stick on the very top of the drive large screw, remove, and then on the starboard side has the drain screw, drain the upper.

Look up under the drive, see a drain screw on the starboard side, almost next to the steering gear near the ball gear, pull that screw the intermediate drive will begin to drain, the vent and fill hole will be on the very top of the drive above the dip stick, it is a very large screw.

The drives all drained, see and milky oil come out of any of the drives, say the upper one that is very prone to water in the drive oil? If yes you can pressure test the drives to see where the leak is. You can perform the pressure test by installing the vent screw on the dive you want and installing the pressure tester to the lower hole.

Here is a link to a tester.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-I%2FO-Pressure-Seal-Tester-Outdrive-Leak-De tector_W0QQitemZ270459931624QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090923?IMSfp=TL0909231410003r 29939

Now it's time to fill the drives, first have fresh washers for the drain and vent screws, you can get them at any marine store, or home depot, i bought a bag full for a dollar.

Fill from the bottom of the drive, leaving the vent screw off till you see oil come out the vent, then ionstall the vent screw fresh washer and then remove the pump hose from the bottom and quickly install the bottom screw.

I usually pump in from the bottom till i see oil come out the vent and wait about a half hour for all the air to bubble out the vent, then install the vent screw and the lower fill screw.

The upper unit in fill from the bottom, and then when i see oil jusr come up the top i wait all air out and then the dip stick first then the fill hole screws.

The intermediate is different, i fill from the top. I install the lower screw and slow, real slow put in from the top about 7-8 oz of oil, and then when i just overflows i install the top screw.

Now fresh oil in all the drives.

If she doesn't start good, runs good, then it may be time for a full tune up, or plugs cleaned, points sanded?

Doesn't start, there is a screen in the fitting that enters the carb, clean. There maybe a filter in the fuel pump, clean. Got spark?

Good luck !"

"Thanks, Chiefalen for the gre

"Thanks, Chiefalen for the great advice, the first link worked so I was able to print it out, the second link for E-Bay was no good, guess product was gone or ad was expired. But I do appreciate all the expert help."

Back