Logo

1985 GREW 205 BOWRIDER

oldfatguy

"Hey Gang, just purchased this

"Hey Gang, just purchased this boat, has a 3.8 litre motor in it ( a buick block I believe), with a merc outdrive, it's black with no info plate so I'm assuming it's a merc. Can anyone tell me what model the outdrive most likely will be. Plan on rebuilding motor and outdrive over the winter any help would be appreciated. Thanks"

"this is the OMC forum, so you

"this is the OMC forum, so you might want to post in the Mercruiser forum if you find out it's Merc.

Why are you rebuilding the engine?

The last Buick used in a boat was 1972, so if your 3.8 is a 1985, it will be Chevrolet.

Google image search might help you ID the drive system."

"Come on Hystat ...Gene just w

"Come on Hystat ...Gene just wishes it was a OMC. You know they are the best.
wink.gif
"

"Thanks, I'm relatively nu

"Thanks, I'm relatively null and void of info or knowledge concerning I/O's so I started here have now also posted to the Merc side. I'm rebuilding simply for the fact the boat has sat for 2 years and doesn't look like it was taken care of very well so I have the time to pull the motor, refresh it and the same with the out drive. When I start out with it next spring I won't have any surprises"

"OK Guys, now I need some help

"OK Guys, now I need some help, Have now got a friend to check the numbers on the plate of the outdrive, he found it and used some dye to bring back the info. It's a OMC outdrive for sure and the model number is W206761, what do I have so I can now source info for rebuilding it. Thanks to all in advance for any and all input."

"Does the drive have a half mo

"Does the drive have a half moon gear or rams to lift the drive?

The motor is a very, very good motor just got a camaro 1996 for my son with a 3.8 in it, should make 200 hp"

"W206761 is a serial number, n

"W206761 is a serial number, not a model number.
unfortunately there is no info retreivable by serial number.

don't need any numbers anyways - there was only two 3.8 outdrives. If you have the later 1982-1985 drive, there will be a rectangular zinc anode behind the 6 idle relief holes in the lower unit whereas earlier 1978-1981 drive (hydromechanical shift) did not have the zinc.

96 Camaro 3.8 is a totally different engine (Buick 231 based), whereas the OMC 3.8 is Chevrolet based 229 cid."

"Ok found another number, it&#

"Ok found another number, it's 982435, and I do believe I saw the zinc anode on the lower unit. The out drive has the half moon configuration there are no rams. I believe it's a 800 stringer from what I've sourced so far. Hope this helps. I wish I could send pic's but I'm out of town working and of course the boat is home."

"[i]982435[/i] doesn't sou

"982435 doesn't sound like the right outdrive for the boat.
But again, the numbers don't necessarily mean much. The numbers are only on the upper gearcase housing, not the lower. An upper housing from a 4 cylinder , V6 or V8 upper are all the same 1979-1985.- could have had any gears put inside to suit any application by a rebuilder. The number tells what gears are in there, but once rebuilt the tag is often removed because it no longer applies.

The gears inside should have 21/20 teeth for a 3.8 V6.
The lower is identified as hydromech or full mech by the absence or presence of the zinc behind the idle relief holes.

800 series(V6 and V8) lowers have 15 spline propshafts and are rated to 260HP
400 series (4 cyl) lowers have 13 splines and are only good to 140HP"

"Didn't know that about th

"Didn't know that about the different based 3.8's I have to research the buick one. The son i bought the camaro for is 14 won't get it for another 3-4 years, i have it under a tarp now, after going thru the motor it runs scary fast.

Thanks Hy maybe one day we will meet and we can swap lies."

"[img][/img] I was in NJ for a

"
I was in NJ for a week summer of 2008 when the trans blew out of my car on the turnpike..."

"If you want to see a marine e

"If you want to see a marine engine based on the "3800" gm corporate engine in your sons camaro, look here:
http://www.waspaust.co.nz/

click 'marine engines', and scroll to the bottom
280HP @ 5000 RPM (9 psi Boost)
"

"wow and i paid 600 bucks tota

"wow and i paid 600 bucks total for the camaro, i bet just the manis are double that on the marine one in the link."

"Ok Gang, got the pictures and

"Ok Gang, got the pictures and for some reason can't post them, reduced their size to 500x350 and the server still says I have exceeded file size, any suggestions?
Happy New Year to All"

Does it have anything to do wi

Does it have anything to do with me having a Mac? Tried to send just 1 picture and still getting the error message

"Gene...send them to me as att

"Gene...send them to me as attachments and I'll see if I can massage them enough to post them for a look see, just hit my screen name on the left and it will show you my email"

"Here are 3 of 4 of Gene's

"Here are 3 of 4 of Gene's pics....seems to be some restriction on the forum to # of pic's? (tried it many different ways) will put the 4th pic in another post....I'll let the Stringer Gods figure it out (Hy Stat and the Chief)

374595.jpg

374596.jpg

374597.jpg
"

"This drive looks like the rub

"This drive looks like the rubber bumpers are missing. You need a manual no question about that. Guy on ebay sometimes has the original factory manual.

Second best is the seloc #3400 in the right hand corner, omc sterndrives 1064-1985.

I have the exact same drive but mines a 400 yours is a 800 i think.

Only difference is the lower bullet is wider on yours.

Keep the questions coming."

"Thanks to All Again, I can&#3

"Thanks to All Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.
I have already ordered the Seloc book , so hopefully it will help too. Man are you guys in trouble regarding questions once I get this thing torn down
. Happy New Year to all. Hey Bob Thanks again."

Hey Gene....I see your from On

Hey Gene....I see your from Ontario. Depending on where you may actually be close Hy Stat (Peterborough/Lindsay area I think?) He is always able to get his hands on a good supply of parts and definitely knows those drives inside out!

"Thanks Bob, I'm in Frankf

"Thanks Bob, I'm in Frankford about a hour from the Petetborough area. I will contact Hy Stat if I need any parts or info."

"one bad thing I see is snow o

"one bad thing I see is snow on the ground and the drive tilted up. Water will have frozen in the water pump impeller and cracked the housing. You will need to put the complete w/p kit in the drive in the spring.

You have a GLM aftermarket lower unit (note the two slots in front of the rectangular zinc instead of 6 holes..that's an aftermarket lower...so someone put some money into it fairly recently..good sign)

and yes, it would be a 3.8 Chevrolet 229 V6, not Buick"

"Thanks, The boat hadn't b

"Thanks, The boat hadn't been in the water for 2 years when I bought it, the drive was down and I raised it to transport, so hopefully there was no water in it. The tip will be great for when I do get this boat up and running. It's good news I have something to work with, I was afraid I may have bought a dead dog. I was prepared to refit the boat if I had too. Wanted the boat mostly for the hull and style, so knowing I have a good working foundation makes me feel better."

if it has rained or snowed mor

if it has rained or snowed more than 3 or 4 millimeters since you tilted it up your water pump is history...unless those GLM lowers have some sort of water drain that the OEM's don't

the deciding factor for me as to whether the boat had anything to offer would be the exhaust manifolds.
Hopefully they have been religiously winterized.

"OK, looks like I'm good f

"OK, looks like I'm good for a water pump at least, I do know the motor was winterized. When we do the tear down everything is going to be checked very carefully, Thanks again Hy Stat"

Back